Computer game storefront Steam launches dedicated chat app for Android and iOS
A few hours ago, Valve's user interface designer for Steam Emily Kent announced that a dedicated app for the computer game store's chat functionality, aptly named Steam Chat, is now available on both Android and iOS.
Steam Chat's availability on mobile has been a long time coming for users of the service, having been announced alongside the major overhaul that its chatting functionality received within the Steam client itself and via web-based version in June of 2018.
As of this writing, the Steam Chat app does not feature some key functionality available via the Steam client for Windows, macOS, and Linux, including voice chat. According to Kent, this feature is under active development. Currently, the following features are available on the Steam Chat mobile app:
• Friends List - See who’s in game or online at a glance.
• Rich Chat - Support for higher fidelity links, videos, tweets, GIFs, Giphy, Steam emoticons, and more.
• Invite Links - Add new friends on Steam with a link generated and shareable via text or email.
• Customizable Notifications - Mobile notifications that can be customized per friend, group chat, and chat channel.
• Group Chats - Chat with multiple Steam friends in the same channel, with support for multiple text channels and all of the rich chat functionality also available with solo chatting.
- Free • Proprietary
- Android Tablet
The Steam Chat app includes many key features of the desktop Steam client chat, including: Friends List – See who’s in game or online at a glance. You'll see your custom categories and favorites bar just like you can on your PC.❯ Alternatives to Steam Chat