Total Commander is a shareware Orthodox File Manager (OFM) for Windows. Some features include a built-in FTP client, file compare, archive file navigation, and a multi-rename tool with regular expression support.
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions
- And many more!
Double Commander is a cross-platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.
- Unicode support
- Tabbed interface
- Multi-rename tool
- Custom columns
- Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
- Internal text editor (F4) with syntax highlighting
- Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
- All operations working in the background
- Extended search function with full-text search in any files
- Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
- Total Commander WCX, WDX, and WLX plug-ins support
Written in Lazarus
FreeCommander is an easy-to-use alternative to the standard windows file manager. The program helps you with daily work in Windows. Here you can find all the necessary functions to manage your data stock. You can take FreeCommander anywhere – just copy the installation directory on a CD or USB-Stick – and you can evenwork with this program on a foreign computer. FreeCommander XE 64-bit is currently available as bonus for the donors.
Main features in FreeCommander:
Dual-panel technology – horizontal and vertical (one panel possible too) Tabbed interface Full access to desktop Optional tree view for each panel Built-in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format File viewer and thumbnail view inside archives too Built-in archive handling: ZIP (read, write) Nested archive handling Plugins for other archive (RAR, 7z, …) Plain view – structureless view for files and folders Linked browsing Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders (alternatively as Windows or FreeCommander operation) Drag&drop File searching (inside archive too) Create and verify MD5 checksums Wipe files Multi rename tool File properties and context menu Calculation of folder size Folder comparison Folder synchronization Modification of file date and attributes Folder / program favorites File filters (regexp possible too) for display and file operations User defined columns for detailed views DOS command line Quick viewer Quick search Quick filter Quick starter Screenshots All shortcuts are definable A lot of settings – you can configure almost all
XYplorer is a file manager for Windows. It features tabbed browsing, a powerful file search, a versatile preview, a highly customizable interface, optional dual pane, scripting engine, and a large array of unique ways to efficiently automate frequently recurring tasks. It’s fast, light, and portable.
XYplorerFree, a free feature-limited version of XYplorer, was available until January 2017, when it was discontinued. Last version, 17.40.0100, released in November 2016, can be still downloaded at https://www.xyplorer.com/free.php
You can also use the Beta version for free: https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4
Beyond Compare allows you to compare files and folders. By using simple, powerful commands you can focus on the differences you're interested in and ignore those you're not. You can then merge the changes, synchronize your files, and generate reports for your records.
You can compare entire drives and folders at high speed, checking just sizes and modified times. Or, thoroughly verify every file with byte-by-byte comparisons. FTP sites and zip files are integrated seamlessly, so you can update your website with the touch of a button. Beyond Compare also supports cloud storage and can be used directly from most version control systems. Folder synchronization is also possible and repetitive tasks can be automated using a flexible scripting language.
Cross-platform file tagging
Organize your documents, photos, e-books, music, recipes or invoices in the same way on almost every platform. We currently support Windows, macOS, Linux and Android. With the help of tags you can do research better or you can manage projects using the GTD methodology or you can organize your tasks in Kanban boards. The application can persists the tags in the file names and as a consequence, the tagging information is not vendor locked. The absence of a database, makes syncing of the tag meta information easy across different devices with services like Dropbox, Google Drive or Nextcloud. TagSpaces features basic file management operations, so it can be used as tag-based file manager.
Cross-platform note taking
You can create and edit notes in plain text, markdown and html file formats. You can organize webpages saved in for example HTML or MHTML formats. You can use TagSpaces to organize you e-book library, containing for example PDF or EPUB books. You can create a personal wiki for tracking of your projects, ideas or memories.
Browse and preview your local files
Browse your local files in a convenient and responsive user interface, familiar from the modern cloud based services. Browse your digital photos, listen your local music and video content, open PDF documents and MHTML files. The list of supported files types for previewing and editing is constantly growing.
Browse and preview files from S3 object storage
TagSpaces can connect to S3 compatible cloud object storage like from AWS S3, Wasabi or Minio, so you can browse, preview and edit files located in the Cloud in the similar way you do with your local files.
TagSpaces Web clipper
With the free browser extension available for Chrome, Edge and Firefox you can save whole webpages, parts or screenshot of them as plain files on your hard drive. The extension utilize common file formats like HTML, PDF, PNG or MHTML so you can easily use the saved content later in other programs including TagSpaces.
TagSpaces is offered as a desktop app and web application for self-hosting. The Lite version is free and open-source, the Pro plan is paid.
QTTabBar is an extension for Windows Explorer that brings tabbed browsing to Microsoft's file browser. It comes with a number of nifty features including a favorites function for launching folders and applications, groupings of folders that can be opened together, tooltip preview functions for a number of file types, and others. It is also highly customizable and hotkey-enabled.
QTTabBar was written by a Japanese developer known as “Quizo” (hence the name QTTabBar) but because of lack of time, he gave the project over to Paul Accisano. Actually "Quizo" was resumed development. Open source branch of QTTabBar: http://qttabbar.sourceforge.net/
JPEGView is a lean, fast and highly configurable viewer/editor for JPEG, BMP, PNG, WEBP, TGA, GIF, TIFF, HEIC, JXL, and AVIF images with a minimal GUI. Basic on-the-fly image processing is provided - allowing adjusting typical parameters as sharpness, color balance, rotation, perspective, contrast and local under-/overexposure.
As of 2022, development at SourceForge ceased in 2018. Another developer has taken over development on GitHub.
- Small and fast, uses SSE2 and up to 4 CPU cores
- High quality resampling filter, preserving sharpness of images
- Basic image processing tools can be applied real-time during viewing
- Re-size and lossless-cut, color correction
- Slide show
- Movie mode to play folder of JPEGs as movie
- Multi-language (24 languages in 2023)