The most popular alternative is wicd, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 7 alternatives to wpa_supplicant so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting wpa_supplicant alternatives are NetworkManager (Free, Open Source), ceni (Free, Open Source), Rfkill (Free, Open Source) and iw (Free, Open Source).
- Wicd is an open source wired and wireless network manager for Linux which aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a wide variety of settings.
- NetworkManager is a set of co-operative tools that make networking simple and straightforward.
- Network manager used by Linux distributions Sidux and Aptosid, but can be installed on debian based distributions, and compiled from source on just about any.
- rfkill is a small tool to query the state of the rfkill switches, buttons and subsystem interfaces.
- iw is a new nl80211 based CLI configuration utility for wireless devices. It supports almost all new drivers that have been added to the kernel recently.
- VSNM - Very Simple Network Manager
- ethtool - utility for controlling network drivers and hardware