trafMon, an open source network traffic performance monitoring and diagnostics tool
What is trafMon?
Origin: The trafMon platform has its origin from two developments implemented for the European Space Agency (ESA): o In the frame of the Galileo Programme, for the qualification of worldwide ground segment links, that are supporting time-critical traffic flows. o In the frame of the Earth Observation Programme, for the measurements, auditing and troubleshooting of communications over the ESA¦s Earth Observation Payload Data Network. The provided services include the observations of the files transferred during FTP sessions and the underlying TCP connections efficiency.
- Precise and Efficient Measurement of Individual Data Flows in Each Direction Several Network Probes are installed at two or more locations along the network path of the data-link that is to be qualified or monitored. Typically, one probe will be at the traffic source, one at the traffic destination, and intermediate probes may be inserted at locations where the network characteristics change, or the traffic passes from one service provider to another (e.g. if the path includes a VSAT link, probes could be inserted at the Earth stations in order to differentiate problems on the satellite links from problems on the terrestrial tails).
- Full-Stack Protocol Analysis and Measurement of Stateful Communications up to Application Layer The probe data processing has then been turned into a rich pipeline of full-stack protocol decoding and stateful follow-on of bi-directional communication exchanges. The probe is currently able to analyse, at wire-speed, IPv4 and ICMPv4 behaviours, but also UDP-based transactions such as DNS, SNMP, and NTP exchanges, and even more complex TCP connections, with their adaptive window size and potential retransmissions, up to FTP control sessions and their associated file transfer data connections.
- Classification of Traffic Volumes based on Structure and Topology of Corporate Network
- Detailed Communications & Protocol Troublesooting and Original Security Auditing
No comments or reviews, maybe you want to be first?Post a comment/review
- Network Monitor
- Network Analyzer
CategoriesNetwork & Admin • Security & Privacy
Recent user activities on trafMon
- LucLc added trafMon as alternative(s) to SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer
- LucLc added trafMonLu
- LucLc added trafMon as alternative(s) to NETSCOUT nGenius
Comments and Reviews Post a comment/review