Rudder is an easy to use, web-driven, role-based solution for IT Infrastructure Automation and Compliance. With a focus on continuously checking configurations and centralising real-time status data, Rudder can show a high-level summary (“ISO 27001 rules are at 100%!”) and break down noncompliance issues to a deep technical level (“Host prod-web-03: SSH server configuration allows root logins”).
A few things that make Rudder stand out:
- A simple framework allows you to extend the built-in rules to implement specific low-level configuration patterns, however complex they may be, using simple building blocks (“ensure package installed in version X,” “ensure file content,” “ensure line in file,” etc.). A graphical builder lowers the technical level required to use this.
- Each policy can be independently set to be automatically checked or enforced on a policy or host level.
- Rudder works on almost every kind of device, so you’ll be managing physical and virtual servers in the data center, cloud instances, and embedded IoT devices in the same way.
- Rudder is designed for critical environments where a security breach can mean more than a blip in the sales stats. Built-in features include change requests, audit logs, and strong authentication.
- Rudder relies on an agent that needs to be installed on all hosts to audit. The agent is very lightweight and blazingly fast. Installation is self-contained, via a single package, and can auto-update to limit agent management burden.
- Rudder is a true and professional open source solution—the team behind Rudder doesn’t believe in the dual-speed licensing approach that makes you reinstall everything and promotes open source as little more than a “demo version.”... More Info »
Rudder is an established project with several 10000s of node managed, in companies from small to biggest-in-their-field. Typical deployments manage 100s to 1000s of nodes. The biggest known deployment in 2016 is about 7000 nodes.