The most popular alternative is BIND, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 8 alternatives to PowerDNS so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting PowerDNS alternatives are Unbound (Free, Open Source), djbdns (Free, Open Source), Knot DNS (Free, Open Source) and MaraDNS (Free, Open Source).
- BIND is by far the most widely used DNS software on the Internet. On Unix-like operating systems it is the de facto standard.
- Unbound is a validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver.
- The djbdns software package is a collection of Domain Name System tools created by Daniel J. Bernstein.
- Knot DNS is a high-performance authoritative-only DNS server which supports all key features of the domain name system including zone transfers, dynamic updates and DNSSEC.
- MaraDNS implements the Domain Name System (DNS), an essential internet service. MaraDNS is open source software: This means that anyone is free to download, use, and modify the program free of charge, as per its license.
- Simple DNS Plus is a commercial DNS server product that runs under Microsoft Windows with an emphasis on a simple-to-use GUI. Maintenance of the software appears to have slackened in recent years.
- NSD is an authoritative only, high performance, simple and open source name server.
- NamedManager is an AGPL web-based BIND gui DNS management system designed to make the adding, adjusting and removal of zones/records easy and reliable.