What is Lichess?
Lichess is the most complete chess experience, with a simple interface that focuses on the game, a massive array of game related tools and a huge, worldwide community.
The Lichess covenant:
- lichess.org will always be free.
- lichess.org will never contain advertisements.
- lichess.org will always be open source.
- Two-player games between humans
- Single-player games (versus Stockfish, the most powerful open-source engine)
- Spectator mode
- Support for moretime
- Resignation and draw offers
- Ability to abort uninitiated games
- Ability to force resignation
- 'Arena' style tournament feature
- Time controls for chess clocks, including Fischer delay
- Optional Black and White player randomization
- Ability to request a player to take back a move
- Support for variants: Chess960, King of the Hill, Three-check Chess, Atomic chess, Antichess, Horde chess
- User-defined restriction of who can join games, based on player rating
- Board editor to set up and practice positions against players or people.
- Opening puzzles to learn good continuations
- Tactics puzzles
- Coordinate trainer to train the locating of chess squares
- Curated library of publicly available chess videos
- PGN import and ability to load positions from FEN
- Mobile app for iOS and Android
- Works in any modern web browser (except Internet Explorer 8 and lesser versions), with no plugins such as Flash or Java needed
- Availability in over 80 languages
- Ability to toggle the overall theme of the website between black and white
- Basic chess set and background theme switching
- Ability to invite friends to a game via unique links created for every game
- Optional username and password registration
- Option for users to close their accounts
- 3.89 avg rating
- 12,258 Stars
- 1,782 Forks
- 682 Open Issues