Cairo Shell Alternatives for Windows
Introducing Files, the ultimate file manager app for Windows. With its sleek and intuitive design, navigating through your files has never been easier. Files features tabs for easy switching between different folders, a column view for quick file browsing, and dual pane support...
Suggest and vote on features
- - Files is the most popular Windows alternative to Cairo Shell.
- Dark ModeFiles supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Ad-freeFiles doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Cloud SyncSync your data (notes, documents, bookmarks, etc.) across your different devices and to the cloud.
- Privacy focusedFiles is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- File TaggingFiles can organize and highlight your files with tags and labels.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Files without registration.
- Full-Text SearchFiles lets you search for specific words or phrases from inside a document or database.
- LightweightFiles consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Live PreviewInstantly see what your files and documents look like as you create them.
Comments about Files as a Alternative to Cairo Shellpros, cons and recent commentsGuest
Files UWP merely replaces the file browser, not the full explorer shell like Cairo.3
Files is only a file manager, while Cairo Shell is a desktop environment that can replace the Windows Explorer shell.0
"Sigma File Manager" is a free, open-source, quickly evolving, modern file manager (explorer / finder) app for Windows and Linux.Suggest and vote on features
Sigma File Manager Features
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Sigma File Manager without registration.
- Ad-freeSigma File Manager doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Works OfflineSigma File Manager can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Dark ModeSigma File Manager supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- No TrackingSigma File Manager will not track you or use your personal data.
- Support for scriptingSigma File Manager supports scripts and macros to automate or customize tasks.
- Privacy focusedSigma File Manager is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of Sigma File Manager.
- File TaggingSigma File Manager can organize and highlight your files with tags and labels.
VirtuaWin is a virtual desktop manager for the Windows operating system (Win9x/ME/NT/Win2K/XP/Win2003/Vista/Win7/Win10). A virtual desktop manager lets you organize applications over several virtual desktops (also called ‘workspaces’).Suggest and vote on features
- PortableVirtuaWin can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
This application aims to provide a Fluent Design System based replacement for the old, built-in, Metro Design based Audio/Airplane mode/Brightness flyouts present in Windows (which haven't been updated since Windows 8 LOL) which are shown while pressing the media or volume...ModernFlyouts has no features, suggest some!
BB4Win (Blackbox for Windows) is an alternative shell for Microsoft Windows. The program aims to emulate the look and feel of a Linux based desktop. The BB4Win project was discontinued in 2005 but various branches have been built from the source.Suggest and vote on features
Latest release 2009, see http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/
bbLean is the lean version of Blackbox for Windows. It tries to keep balance between features and complexity, to give you some efficient means within a compact shell.bbLean has no features, suggest some!Discontinued
The project is no longer developed. Last version, 1.17.1, released in May 2009, can be still downloaded from the official website.
bug.n is a tiling window manager add-on for Microsoft Windows. It is written in the scripting language AutoHotkey.Suggest and vote on features
SharpEnviro (or SharpE) is an open source shell replacement system for Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. When using SharpEnviro the default Windows desktop is replaced by a new and more powerful desktop environment.Suggest and vote on features
- Support for Multiple MonitorsSharpEnviro supports the use of multiple displays.
As of december 2011 the SharpEnviro project is no longer under active development. All files provided come without any warranty or support! It is uncertain if or how well the previously released versions of SharpEnviro will work with any new or updated Windows system after Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
Emerge Desktop is a replacement Windows "shell" (the desktop environment normally provided by Windows Explorer) for Windows 2000 and above. In order to replace Windows Explorer as a shell, it provides a system tray (the area that collects the icons collected at the...Emerge Desktop has no features, suggest some!Discontinued
Emerge Desktop is no longer maintained. Last version, 6.1.3, released in 2012, and the source code are still available on SourceForge
Talisman Desktop is a configurable Windows shell replacement introduced in 1997 by Lighttek Software. It is available in a number of languages including English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian and Italian.
- - Talisman Desktop is the most popular commercial alternative to Cairo Shell.
Window Maker has a reputation for being fast, efficient and highly stable. Window Maker has been characterized as reproducing "the elegant look and feel of the NeXTstep GUI" and is noted as "easy to configure and easy to use.Suggest and vote on features
Window Maker Features
GNUstep's core framework provides open source version of the Cocoa's (formerly known as OpenStep from NeXT) APIs and tools for as many platforms as possible.
Comments about GNUstep as a Alternative to Cairo Shellpros, cons and recent commentsGuest
GNUstep is a development environment.0