Open Source Terminal Alternatives
The most popular alternative is ConEmu, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked more than 50 alternatives to Terminal so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting Terminal alternatives are PowerShell (Free, Open Source), Terminator (Free, Open Source), Hyper (Free, Open Source) and iTerm2 (Free, Open Source).
- Powerful, fast and reliable Windows terminal that can run any console WinAPI or Unix PTY app.
- PowerShell (including Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core) is a task automation and configuration management framework from Microsoft, consisting of a command-line shell and associated scripting language built on the .NET Framework.
- Terminator, multiple terminals in one window. The goal of this project is to produce a useful tool for arranging terminals.
- Hyper™ is a beautiful and extensible, cross-platform terminal built on open web standards.
- iTerm2 is a replacement for Terminal and the successor to iTerm. It works on Macs with macOS 10.10 or newer.
- GNOME Terminal is a terminal emulator for the GNOME desktop environment written by Havoc Pennington and others.
- Alacritty is a blazing fast, GPU accelerated terminal emulator. It’s written in Rust and uses OpenGL for rendering to be the fastest terminal emulator available. Alacritty is available on GitHub in source form.
- Windows Terminal is a new, modern, feature-rich, productive terminal application for command-line users.
- Konsole is a terminal to run a command shell. It provides a command line interface for directly controlling your computer.