A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.
- Rich text
- Syntax highlighting
- Images handling
- Embedded files handling
- Multi-level lists handling
- Simple tables handling
- Codeboxes handling
- Execution of the code for code nodes and codeboxes
- Alignment of text, images, tables and codeboxes
- Hyperlinks associated to text and images
- Spell check
- Intra application copy/paste
- Cross application copy/paste
- Copying a list of files from the file manager and pasting in cherrytree will create a list of links to files, images are recognized and inserted in the text
- Print & save as pdf file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to html of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to plain text of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- TOC generation for a node / node and subnodes / the whole tree, based on headers h1, h2 and h3
- Find a node, find in selected node, find in selected node and subnodes, find in all nodes
- Replace in nodes names, replace in selected node, replace in selected node and subnodes, replace in all nodes
- Iteration of the latest find, iteration of the latest replace, iteration of the latest applied text formatting
- Import from html file, import from folder of html files
- Import from plain text file, import from folder of plain text files
- Import from basket, cherrytree, epim html, gnote, keepnote, keynote, knowit, mempad, notecase, rednotebook, tomboy, treepad lite, tuxcards, zim
- Export to cherrytree file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Password protection
- Tree nodes drag and drop
- Automatic link to web page if writing the URL
- Automatic link to node if writing node name either with no spaces and camelcase or surrounded by [[node name]]
Whether it's bookmarks or passwords, files or shopping lists...Turtl organizes it all and makes it easy to find later. Sync across your devices. Leave nothing behind.
Turtl uses high-end cryptography to protect your data. Whether you're worried about information leaks, competitive advantage, or blanket government surveillance, Turtl works hard to make sure only you, and those you choose, can see your data.
Just because Turtl is secure and private doesn't mean you can't share with your teammates or family. Choose who you want to have access to your data without compromising your security.
neutriNote is an all-in-one preservation of written thoughts, be those text, math (LaTeX), rich markdown, drawings, etc., in fully searchable plain text (universal UTF-8).
Uncluttered UI - Fine-tuned user interface elements to reduce app switching. Accessible search filters for precise navigation to your note contents with minimum taps.
Customization - Your workflow can be further automated by Tasker, Barcode Scanner, ColorDict, and other add-ons, or by connecting neutriNote's repository to web-based services. Options available to deep configure your note taking process.
Backup - Multiple ways to backup your notes. Freedom to pick a cloud backbend that works for you: open source P2P Syncthing, Dropbox, or third party Google Drive, Box, OneDrive components.
Cost - Totally free. No hidden permission (see below). Optional add-ons can be purchased to support its development.
App Permissions Explained:
Location access for location based search
Camera access for built-in barcode scanner
Storage access for core functions
Permission required by Sony devices
and 2. can be denied/revoked as needed either from Settings or via Marshmallow's runtime permissions.
Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool for web writers. Markdown allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML).
Thus, “Markdown” is two things: (1) a plain text formatting syntax; and (2) a software tool, written in Perl, that converts the plain text formatting to HTML.
Made by the company behind WordPress, Simplenote enables users to take notes, lists, and ideas. These notes are stored on the cloud and are accessible across multiple devices.
Simplenote's both client and server components are free and open-source. However, the service component of Simplenote requires free registration and accepting the terms of service.
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, their own service (paid) or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encryption (E2EE)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support for to-dos and tags
- Support for notifications in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes. Support for extra features such as math notation, checkboxes and Fountain (screenwriting markup language).
- File attachment support, images, etc.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages
- External editor support - open notes in your favorite external editor with one click in Joplin.
QOwnNotes is the open source plain-text notepad with markdown support and todo-list manager for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, that works together with the notes application of ownCloud.
So you are able to write down your thoughts with QOwnNotes and edit or search for them later from your mobile device (like with CloudNotes) or the ownCloud web-service.
The notes are stored as plain text files and are synced with ownCloud's file sync functionality. Of course other software, like Dropbox, can be used too.
I like the concept of having notes accessible in plain text files, like it is done in the ownCloud notes app, to gain a maximum of freedom, but I was not able to find a decent desktop note taking tool or a text editor, that handles them well in conjunction with ownCloud.
Out of this need QOwnNotes was born.
wikidPad is a Wiki-like notebook for storing your thoughts, ideas, todo lists, contacts, or anything else you can think of to write down. What makes wikidPad different from other notepad applications is the ease with which you can cross-link your information. Links in a wiki are created by typing in WikiWords. A WikiWord is any mixed case word typed into the editor. TodoList or JohnDoe are example WikiWords. The term wiki means "quick" in Hawaiian, and wikis are all about quickly linking your information together. Wikis are not a new concept, in fact there are many web based wiki servers avai
TiddlyWiki is a single html file with all the characteristics of a wiki - including all of the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet. Because its a single file, its very portable - you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick. It has a broad range of tools and an ever expanding plethora of plugins.
MediaWiki is a free software wiki package written in PHP, originally for use on Wikipedia. It is now used by several other projects of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation and by many other wikis.
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It allows you to write and sync your notes across all your devices, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, MacOS, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
Simple means it does one job and does it well. Standard Notes is a safe and lasting place for your life's work. Our focus is making it easy to write notes wherever you are and syncing them with encryption to all your devices.
Standard Notes comes free with: • Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
- Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
- No limit on number of devices.
- No limit on number of notes.
- Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
- A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
- The ability to pin, lock, protect, and move notes to trash, which allows you to recover deleted notes until the trash is emptied.
We made Standard Notes simple because longevity is important to us. We want to make sure we're here, protecting your notes, for the next hundred years. You shouldn't have to find a new notes app every year.
To sustain our development, we offer optional paid subscriptions with additional benefits. A premium subscription gives you access to powerful tools including:
- Super note type
- Beautiful themes
- Web clipper
- Encrypted files
- Hardware security key support
[ALPHA - UNDER DEVELOPMENT] OpenSource note-taking & archiving
NOTE In order to get Paperwork in its current state (under development) running, you have to have an understanding for how Docker and DNS works and know the basic concepts of HTTP proxying. Also, experience with Traefik and Minio might come in handy.
If you don’t have that, then the current state of Paperwork probably isn’t for you in first place. To make it clear: This software is not usable at this moment. It’s being worked on to be made usable in the near future. In its current state, Paperwork v2 is targeted to developers that would like to get their hands dirty and contribute to the project.
The application stores all your notes in your browser databases such as indexedDB or localStorage, which is good for security reasons, because only you have access to them.
- Markdown editor based on Pagedown
- Manage your notes, even when you're offline
- Secure client-side encryption
- Synchronizes with cloud storage services (currently only with Dropbox and remoteStorage)
- Three editing modes: distraction free, preview, and normal mode
- WYSIWYG control buttons
- MathJax support
- Syntax highlighting
- No registration required
- Web based
Typora gives you a seamless experience as both a reader and a writer. It removes the preview window, mode switcher, syntax symbols of markdown source code, and all other unnecessary distractions. Instead, it provides a real live preview feature to help you concentrate on the content itself.
Typora allows you to manage your files easily, providing both file tree panel and articles (file list) side panel. Fell free to organize files in your own way, including putting in sync services, like Dropbox or iCloud.
Automatically see the Outline structure of your documents in outline panel, which allows you to quickly go through the document and jump to any section with one click.
Import & Export
Export to PDF with bookmarks. Go further and export or import. More formats, including docx, OpenOffice, LaTeX, MediaWiki, Epub, etc, can be exported or imported.
See how large your document is in words, characters, lines, or reading minutes.
Focus Mode & TypeWriter Mode
Focus mode helps you focus only on the current line, by blurring the others. Typewriter mode always keeps the currently active line in the middle of the window.
Auto complete pair of brackets and quotes like a code editor. Also, There's also an option to auto pair markdown symbols, like * or _.
Leanote provides services for note and blog. You can use "note" as your personal notebook, if you want to share with friends, just publish note or notebook to the blog.
The code of Leanote can be found on Github but you have to pay to get the app from the official website, hence this freemium license.
- Ace editor in normal note
- Stackedit editor in markdown note
- Rich Text editor
- Document navigation
- Writing mode only shows tool bar
- Multiple kinds of Code highlight in Normal note
- Two kinds of screen in Markdown: Dual screen for real time preview Single screen for writing
- Image management in Markdown note
- Collaboration, share note to target group
- Publish note
- Communicate with friends
- Custom domain name for premium user