Here is the list of all the messaging services I recommend to use
Matrix defines a set of open APIs for decentralised communication, suitable for securely publishing, persisting and subscribing to data over a global open federation of servers with no single point of control. Uses include Instant Messaging (IM), Voice over IP (VoIP) signalling, Internet of Things (IoT) communication, and bridging together existing communication silos - providing the basis of a new open real-time communication ecosystem.
Element is a Matrix-based end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) secure collaboration and messaging app.
It provides instant messaging, voice and video calls, screen sharing and file sharing; for 1:1s to huge chat rooms. It’s available to use across Web, Android, iOS, macOS, Windows & Linux.
Its decentralised design delivers digital sovereignty, enabling deployment on-premise or through any cloud provider.
Element Matrix Services (EMS) is the most popular SaaS for corporate use of Element. EMS provides fast performance and enterprise-grade add-ons.
Being Matrix-based, Element provides interoperability between traditional siloed apps. It can bridge into proprietary ‘walled garden’ systems such as Slack, Microsoft Teams, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram and Discord to enable easy connections between different organisations.
End-to-end encryption is provided by default to keep users’ conversations and files safe. Cross-signed device verification uses QR codes or emoji comparisons to guard against imposters and eavesdropping.
Element is built on the Matrix.org open standard which provides bridges to other systems such as Slack, IRC and a lot more soon.
Jami (formerly GNU Ring, SFLphone) positions itself as a potential free Skype replacement
Open Source and cross-platform. Jami gives you a full control over your communications and an unmatched level of privacy.
SIP-compatible softphone and SIP-based instant messenger for Linux, Microsoft Windows, OS X and Android.
Communicate in multiple ways: • A telephone: a simple tool to connect, communicate and share. • A teleconferencing tool: easily join calls to create conferences with multiple participants. • A media sharing tool: Jami supports a variety of video input options, including mutliple cameras and image and video files, and the selection of audio inputs and outputs; all this is supported by multiple high quality audio and video codecs. • A messenger: send text messeges during calls or out of calls (as long as your peer is connected). • A building block for your IoT project: re-use the universal communications technology of Jami with its portable library on your system of choice.
Developed and maintained by the Canadian company Savoir-faire Linux, and with the help of a global community of users and contributors.
Watch videos of Jami in actions at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIe47cCt_ovwKb2Nfr4nBlw/videos
With the rise of widespread government monitoring programs, Tox is an easy to use application that allows you to connect with friends and loved ones without anyone else listening in.
Tox is built with the idea that you can keep up with friends and family without having your privacy violated. While other big-name services require you to pay to unlock features, Tox is free in both price, and in liberty. That is, you’re free to do whatever you wish with Tox.
Some Tox binary official frontends:
- Windows: uTox updater, µTox, qTox, Toxy, Konv
- OS X: qTox, Poison, uTox, Toxic, Konv
- Linux: uTox, Toxic, qTox, Ricin, Konv
- Android: Antox, TrRiFA, Konv
- iOS: Antidote, Konv
- FreeBSD: uTox, qTox, Toxic, Konv
Go ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free — with no account needed.
What else can you do with Jitsi Meet?
- Share your desktop, presentations, and more
- Invite users to a conference via a simple, custom URL
- Edit documents together using Etherpad
- Pick fun meeting URLs for every meeting
- Trade messages and emojis while you video conference, with integrated chat.
Jitsi Meet is packed with premium features. Yep, it’s free — and it’s technologically advanced, too. In fact, Jitsi Meet:
- Sounds better, thanks to HD audio with Opus
- Is anonymous: No need for an account, ever!
- Keeps conversations private with encryption by default (and advanced security settings)
- Is developer-friendly: Modify and customize it to your heart’s content. It’s 100% open source.
Jitsi Meet is the successor of the legacy project Jitsi Desktop
Jitsi Desktop (previously SIP Communicator) is a legacy audio/video and chat communicator with full encryption, precedessor of Jitsi Meet .
It supports protocols such as SIP, XMPP/Jabber, ICQ/AIM, Windows Live, Yahoo!, GTalk/Hangouts extensions, as well as OTR, ZRTP, etc.
Briar is a messaging app designed for activists, journalists, and anyone else who needs a safe, easy and robust way to communicate.
- Unlike traditional messaging tools such as email, Twitter or Telegram, Briar doesn't rely on a central server - messages are synchronized directly between the users' devices. If the Internet's down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, keeping the information flowing in a crisis. If the Internet's up, Briar can sync via the Tor network, protecting users and their relationships from surveillance.
ChatSecure is a free and open source messaging app that features OTR encryption over XMPP. You can connect to your existing accounts on Facebook or Google, create new accounts on public XMPP servers(including via Tor), or even connect to your own server for extra security.
Unlike other apps that keep you stuck in their walled garden, ChatSecure is fully interoperable with other clients that support OTR and XMPP, such as Adium, Jitsi, and more.
ChatSecure only uses well-known open source cryptographic libraries to keep your conversations private. Other apps may make claims about 'military grade' security but, without publicly auditable source code and verifiable end-to-end encryption, you cannot be truly safe.
- XMPP with TLS certificate pinning.
- OTR for verifiable end-to-end encryption and forward secrecy.
- OMEMO for a mobile-friendly alternative to OTR.
- Tor to help bypass restrictive firewalls.
- SQLCipher to locally encrypt conversation logs.
Conversations is a privacy focused, open source XMPP Texting [Jabber] client for Android 4.0+ smart phones with wife-approved easy encryption [OTR, OMEMO, or GPG].
- End-to-end encryption with either OMEMO or OpenPGP
- Sending and receiving images
- Encrypted audio and video calls (DTLS-SRTP)
- Intuitive UI that follows Android Design guidelines
- Pictures / Avatars for your Contacts
- Syncs with desktop client
- Conferences (with support for bookmarks)
- Address book integration
- Multiple accounts / unified inbox
- Very low impact on battery life
Wire is the most secure collaboration platform featuring messenger, voice, video, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration –all protected by the most secure end-to-end-encryption.
- Always-on end-to-end encryption
- 1:1 and group messaging
- Voice call
- Video conference
- Searchable conversations
- Guest Rooms (external collaboration)
- Advanced team management
- iOS, Android & Desktop support
- Available on desktop, mobile, and web app
- Synced in real-time across all devices
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly with your relatives without making a compromise on privacy or security. Make video calls, send messages, pictures, videos, documents, voice recordings, GIFs, contacts & location, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once and react to their messages with emojis -all with complete privacy-. Signal servers never have access to any of your communications and never store any of your data.
- Say Anything - Share text, voice messages, photos, videos, GIFs and files for free. Signal uses your phone's data connection so you can avoid SMS (No longer supports SMS or MMS) and MMS fees.
- Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
- Make Privacy Stick - Add a new layer of expression to your conversations with encrypted stickers. You can also create and share your own sticker packs.
- Get Together with Groups - Group chats make it easy to stay connected to your family, friends, and coworkers.
- No ads. No trackers. No kidding. - There are no ads, no affiliate marketers, and no creepy tracking in Signal. So focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
- Remain Connected - Push notifications let you know when new messages have arrived, and they'll be waiting for you even if your battery dies or you temporarily lose service.
- View Source - All of our code is free, open, and available on GitHub (https://github.com/signalapp).
- Join Movements - Technology developed by Open Whisper Systems is trusted and used by millions of people around the world every day.