Android - Research
TrackerControl aims to inform, empower, and educate users with regards to tracking in apps, that is, collection of data about user behaviour.
To visualise this tracking, a compehensive database of tracker companies from the X-Ray project, developed by Professor Max Van Kleek (University of Oxford) and others, is used to reveal the companies behind tracking to users and to allow users to block tracking selectively.
The app further aims to educate users about their legal rights under current EU Data Protection Law (i.e. GDPR and the ePrivacy Directive).
Under the hood, Tracker Control uses Android’s VPN functionality, to analyse apps’ network communications locally on the Android device. This is accomplished through a local VPN server, through which all network communications are passed, to enable the analysis by Tracker Control. In other words, no external VPN server is used, and hence no network data leaves the user’s device for the purposes of tracker analysis.
Tracker Control provides
- real-time monitoring of app tracking,
- granular blocking of app tracking,
- one-click data requests as granted under EU Data Protection Legislation (to be added soon).
Contrary to similar solutions, this application does not intercept SSL connections, minimising privacy risks and allowing for usage on unrooted Android devices. Only the meta data about network communications is logged, and displayed to the users.
"FOSS Browser" is a fully free (as in freedom) open source Android browser: privacy-friendly with a modern user interface. - Your privacy - your data.
Its main features: Material design/beautiful UI Background audio/link Built-in adblock Bookmarks filter Twenty gestures Ability to back-up
Bromite is a Chromium fork with support for ad blocking and enhanced privacy.
Bromite aims at providing a no-clutter browsing experience without privacy-invasive features and with the addition of a fast ad-blocking engine. Minimal UI changes are applied to help curbing the idea of "browser as an advertisement platform".
Bromite is only available for Android Marshmallow (v6.0, API level 23) and above.
Hypatia is the world's first FOSS malware scanner for Android. It is powered by Clam AntiVirus style signature databases.
- Near zero battery impact: you'll never notice any impact on battery at all
- Extremely fast: it can scan small files (1MB) in <20ms, and even large files (40MB) in 1000ms.
- Memory efficient: with the default databases enabled it uses under 120MB.
- Regular scan: allowing selection of /system, internal storage, external storage, and installed apps
- Realtime scanner: can detect malware in realtime on write/rename in internal storage
- Completely offline: Internet is only used to download signature databases, files will never ever leave your device
- Persistence: will automatically restart on boot/update
- Tiny codebase: coming in at under 1000 sloc, it can be audited by even someone with basic programming experience
- Minimal dependencies: the app only uses libraries when necessary
- Signature databases can be enabled/disabled at the users demand
Anti-malware for Android using machine learning. Contribute to projectmatris/antimalwareapp development by creating an account on GitHub.