Beautiful FOSS Android Apps
An uninvasive, secure Android phone can look extremely fancy, thanks to the awesome Open Source Android dev community! Here are personal recommendations
This app is an alternative front-end to Google Translate, but doesn't directly connect to it. It works as follows:
- Text is submitted from you (the user) and sent to a random SimplyTranslate instance (server).
- This instance will request that data from Google Translate.
- Google Translate will send the translation back to that instance.
- That instance will send the translation back to you.
This way Google Translate won't know your identity. Auto selecting a random instance (default mode) each request will obfuscate and spread your data more between instances so nothing will be linked easily as it's not in a centralized database.
- NEW: OCR text recognition from photos using local Tesseract Database
- Supports 108 languages
- Text-To-Speech (TTS)
- Can receive shared text from other apps
- A translate button in the text selection toolbar
- Auto random instance selection each request
- An updatable official list of SimplyTranslate instances
- Custom instance option
- Dark theme
- Private with no data collection and no internet permission at all.
- Create tasks with priority, sub-tasks, description and due date and reminders.
- Create Notes that supports markdown which enables you to use Headers, lists, links etc..
- Record your mood daily and view your mood summary with beautiful graphs.
- Save bookmarks for later by using the share menu from any other app.
- View your calendar events in a modern view and also with a beautiful home screen widget.
- Dashboard screen to see your tasks, calendar events, and more to see your day at a glance.
Memorize anything with AnkiDroid! (Android companion app for Anki )
AnkiDroid lets you learn flashcards very efficiently by showing them just before you will forget. It is fully compatible with the spaced repetition software Anki (including synchronization), which is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.
Study all sorts of things wherever and whenever you want. Make good use of idle times on bus trips, in supermarket queues or any other waiting situation!
Create your own flashcard decks or download free decks compiled for many languages and topics (more than 6000 available).
Add material through the desktop application Anki or directly through Ankidroid. The application even supports adding material automatically from a dictionary!
Key features: • supported flashcard contents: text, images, sounds, LaTeX • spaced repetition (supermemo 2 algorithm) • text-to-speech integration • more than 6000 premade decks • progress widget • detailed statistics • syncing with AnkiWeb • open source
Additional features: • write answers (optional) • whiteboard • card editor/adder • card browser • tablet layout • import existing collection files (via Anki Desktop) • dictionary integration (ColorDict, GoldenDict, Leo.org, Aedict, diverse web dictionaries) • add cards by intent from other applications like dictionaries • custom font support • full backup system • navigation by swipe, tap • customisable • dynamic deck handling • night mode • 27 localisations • All previous AnkiDroid versions can be downloaded from the website
not FOSS but easy to use
A light material design KeePass client to manage keys and passwords in secure database.
- Create database files / entries and groups
- Support for .kdb and .kdbx files (version 1 to 4)
- Open database, copy username / password, open URI / URL
- Fingerprint for fast unlocking
- Material design with themes
- AutoFill and Integration (Development in progress)
- Precise management of settings
KeePassDX is open source and ad-free. You can donate for a better service and a quick development of your features.
Any issue : https://github.com/Kunzisoft/KeePassDX/issues
Imagepipe - Reduces image size and removes exif-tags when sharing images on android devices.
KDE Connect is a project that aims to communicate all your devices. For example, with KDE Connect you can receive your phone notifications on your computer, or just use your phone as a remote control for your desktop. To achieve this, KDE Connect implements a secure communication protocol over the network, and allows any developer to create plugins on top of it. Currently there are KDE Connect clients on KDE, Android and Blackberry, and soon we will support iPhone as well.
Not FOSS but works offline after downloading what you need
Calculator-inator is a Calculator & Converter for Android inspired from Google Calculator
The app features: Basic & Advanced Calculator with logarithmic and trigonometric functions. Length, Area, Mass, Speed, Data, Volume, Time, Temperature, Angle Live Currency Converter.
Aurora Store is an unofficial, FOSS client to Google's Play Store with an elegant design. Not only does Aurora Store download, update, and search for apps like the Play Store, it also empowers the user with new features.
For those concerned with privacy, Aurora Store does not require Google's proprietary framework (spyware?) to operate; It works perfectly fine with or without GooglePlayService or MicroG. However, those still reliant on those services are welcome to use Aurora Store as well!
While Aurora Store was originally based on Sergei Yeriomin's Yalp store, v3.0 is a clean & complete rewrite from scratch that follows Material Design and runs on all devices running Android 5.0+.
Free/Libre software -- Has GPLv3 licence
Beautiful design -- Built upon latest Material Design guidelines
Anonymous accounts -- You can log in and download with anonymous accounts so you don't have to use your own account
Personal Accounts -- You can download purchased apps or access your wishlist by using your own Google account
Exodus integration -- Instantly see trackers an app is hiding in its code
A simple light app for creating and managing your contacts from any source. The contacts can be stored on your device only, but also synchronized via Google, or other accounts.
You can display your favorite people or groups on a separate list. Groups can be used for sending out batch emails or SMS, to save you some time, you can rename them easily.
You can use it for managing user emails and events too. It has the ability to sort/filter by multiple parameters, optionally display surname as the first name.
It contains handy buttons for calling, or texting your relatives. All visible fields can be customized as you wish, you can easily hide the unused ones. The search function will search the given string at every visible persons field, to make you find your desired one easily.
It supports exporting/importing contacts in vCard format to .vcf files, for easy migrations or backing up your data.
You can protect your contacts by not sharing them with other apps, so you can keep them private.
Like the contact source, you can also easily change their name, email, phone number, address, organization, groups and many other customizable fields. You can use it for storing contact events too, like birthdays, anniversaries, or any other custom ones.
This simple contact editor has many handy settings like showing phone numbers on the main screen, toggle contact thumbnail visibility, showing only contacts with phone numbers, showing a call confirmation dialog before initiating a call. It comes with a quick dialer that also makes use of letters.
You can customize what happens at clicking on a contact. You can either initiate a call, go to the View Details screen, or edit the selected one.
To avoid showing potentially unwanted contacts, it has a powerful built in duplicate entry merger.
It comes with material design and dark theme by default. The lack of internet access gives you more privacy, security and stability than other apps.
Contains no ads or unnecessary permissions. It is fully open camera source, provides customizable colors.
A simple file manager for browsing and editing files and directories.
Can also be used for browsing root files and SDcard content. You can easily copy, move, delete and share anything you wish.
Contains no ads or unnecessary permissions. It is fully opensource, provides a Dark theme too.
This app is just one piece of a bigger series of apps. You can find the rest of them at https://www.simplemobiletools.com
Shelter is a Free and Open-Source (FOSS) app that leverages the “Work Profile” feature of Android to provide an isolated space that you can install or clone apps into.
Shelter comes with absolutely no advertisement / statistics / tracking SDKs bundled with it. All source code is available in at https://git.angry.im/PeterCxy/Shelter or mirror https://github.com/PeterCxy/Shelter and the sources are licensed under WTFPL.
This app depends on your Android system’s implementation of Work Profile. Some vendor / custom ROMs may have a broken implementation that may cause crashes and even bricking of your device. One such example is MIUI from Xiaomi. I currently provide no support for such ROMs because I personally do not own any of these devices. If you are running Shelter on these ROMs, you are on your own. If any developer out there own these devices and could make Shelter run on these ROMs, please send pull requests and I’ll be happy to merge them.
Features / Use Cases
- Run apps inside the isolated profile so they cannot access your data outside the profile
- “Freeze” (disable) background-heavy or seldom-used apps when you don’t need them. This is especially true if you use apps from "some company".
- Clone apps to use two accounts on one device
Shelter is not a full sandbox implementation. It cannot protect you from:
- Security bugs of the Android system or Linux kernel
- Backdoors installed in your Android system (so please use an open-source ROM if you are concerned about this)
- Backdoors installed into the firmwares (no way to work around this)
- Any other bugs or limitations imposed by the Android system.
Also, Shelter cannot create more than 1 work profile on one Android device, and cannot co-exist with any other apps that manages a Work Profile. This is due to the limitations of the Android system, and I can do nothing about this.
The compass can be used to determine the direction to North, and when combined with the GPS it can be used to navigate to predefined locations. The predefined locations, known as beacons, can be created while at a location and at any point you can use the compass to navigate back to where the beacon was placed. Example beacons: home, work, trailhead, campsite
The barometer can be used to determine if the weather will change soon and if a storm is likely to occur. The barometric pressure history (last 48 hours) is displayed as a graph and an interpretation of the current reading is shown. If the pressure suddenly drops, a storm alert notification is sent. Note, this feature is only available for phones which have a barometer.
View the sun/moon rise and set times and see the current phase of the moon at your exact location.
Privacy Location information gathered by this application does not leave your device (as a matter of fact, this app doesn't use the Internet at all). The altitude and pressure history for the last 48 hours is stored in local app storage - this is used to determine weather forecasts. The last known location is also stored in app preferences to allow faster load times and support app functionality when the GPS can not be reached. The beacons store their location in a local SQLite database. All of this information is cleared when you clear the app storage or delete it.
awesome simple Workout tracker (GPS)
easy OSM edits
for people that want less features and simple usage
Everything you could want. Best navigation app ever.
Transportr is the public transport companion that respects your privacy and your freedom. Transportr is a non-profit app developed by people around the world to make using public transport as easy as possible wherever you are. Currently, it works best in Europe, but also supports many places world-wide. If you live in an unsupported area, consider adding it to Transportr. It finds directions from your home, your current position or a given station to wherever you want to go. You can also save entire trips as favorites and find next trips with one click. Discover nearby stations and show upcoming departures including the delays (if there are any).
Jerboa is an app for Lemmy, a federated reddit alternative. Jerboa is made by Lemmy's developers, and is free, open-source software, meaning no advertising, monetizing, or venture capital, ever.
Lemmy is similar to sites like Reddit, Lobste.rs, or Hacker News: you subscribe to forums you're interested in, post links and discussions, then vote, and comment on them. Behind the scenes, it is very different; anyone can easily run a server, and all these servers are federated (think email), and connected to the same universe, called the Fediverse.
Session is a new breed of private messenger, built on a unique network of user-operated servers spread all over the world. With no central servers, Session can’t leak or sell your data. And with Session’s private routing protocols, your messages are completely anonymous. No one ever knows who you’re talking to, what you’re saying, or even your IP address.
• Fully anonymous account creation: No phone number or email needed to create a Session ID
• Decentralised server network: No data breaches, no central point of failure
• No metadata logging: Session doesn't store, track, or log your messaging metadata
• IP address protection: Device IP addresses are never exposed to the person you're talking to or the servers holding your data
• Closed groups: Private, end-to-end encrypted group chats for up to 10 people
• Secure attachments: Share voice snippets, photos, and files with Session's secure encryption and privacy protections
• Multi-device syncing: One Session ID for your phone and computer
• Free and open-source: Don’t take our word for it — check Session's code yourself
Session is free as in free speech, free as in free beer, and free of ads and trackers. Session is built and maintained by the Loki Foundation, Australia’s first privacy tech not-for-profit organisation. Take back your online privacy today — download Session.
Want to build from source, report a bug, or just take a look at our code? Check out Session on GitHub: https://github.com/loki-project/session-android
OpenKeychain helps you communicate more privately and securely. It uses high-quality modern encryption to ensure that your messages can be read only by the people you send them to, others can send you messages that only you can read, and these messages can be digitally signed so the people getting them are sure who sent them. OpenKeychain is based on the well established OpenPGP standard making encryption compatible across your devices and operating systems.
Modern encryption is based on digital “keys”. OpenKeychain stores and manages your keys, and those of the people you communicate with, on your Android. It also helps you find others’ keys online, and interchange keys by touching devices. But its most frequent use is in using those keys to encrypt and decrypt messages.
PixelDroid is a Free and Open Source Android client for Pixelfed, the federated image sharing platform.
Browse feeds and profiles, upload new posts, discover posts, interact with others on the fediverse.
• Multi-Account support • Dark and light themes • Apply filters, crop, change brightness/contrast/saturation • Takes into account the configuration of your Pixelfed server • 100% Free and Open Source software. No proprietary dependencies.
Tusky is a lightweight client for Mastodon, a free and open-source social network server. It supports all Mastodon features, like photos, videos, lists, custom emojis and is designed according to material guidelines.
You can choose between a dark and a light theme in Tusky. It has notifications and a drafts feature.
Briar is a messaging app designed for activists, journalists, and anyone else who needs a safe, easy and robust way to communicate.
- Unlike traditional messaging tools such as email, Twitter or Telegram, Briar doesn't rely on a central server - messages are synchronized directly between the users' devices. If the Internet's down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, keeping the information flowing in a crisis. If the Internet's up, Briar can sync via the Tor network, protecting users and their relationships from surveillance.
E2E encryption for SMS? No problem using this app!
K-9 is an open source email client for Android with multi-folder sync, email signatures, Bcc-to-self, return-address configuration, keyboard shortcuts, Exchange Support, message flagging, IMAP deletes, saving attachments, configurable notifications and more.
Trebuchet launcher is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based launcher developed by LineageOS team.
This is a port of the popular LineageOS 15 ROM's Trebuchet launcher to enjoy on any device; working with any android version equal or greater than Android 5.x.
Now with icon pack support and some extra features!
If you want to report a bug or have any specific question please check the XDA Thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-lineageos-15-trebuchet-laucher-rom-t3667436
XDA Labs (Appstore) link for Trebuchet: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.lineageport.trebuchet
- XDA member alesimula who is developing the port of Trebuchet.
- And of course LineageOS team
Full Play Services compatibility Our ROM has built-in microG free-as-in-freedom re-implementation of Google's proprietary Android user space apps and libraries. This enables you to use every Google service you need without keeping another closed-source binary blob in your Android system.
Native F-Droid support LineageOS for microG comes with F-Droid already installed. You can use it to access plenty of FOSS applications or even a Play Store bridge repository like Playmaker or GPlayWeb.
OTA updates We ship OTA updates from upstream LineageOS weekly. In this way you always receive new features and security updates just few days after they are released mainline.
A free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the highly popular custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as LineageOS.
LineageOS was officially launched on December 24, 2016, with the source code available on GitHub. Since that time, LineageOS has been described as highly popular and forcibly developed; within 4 months from the initial announcement, LineageOS development builds covered more than 160 models of phone, and over a million users, having doubled its user base in the month February–March 2017.
AudioFX is awesome, available in LineageOS-apps
for people wanting a Google-Photos looking gallery
Simple Gallery is a highly customizable offline gallery. Organize & edit your photos, recover deleted files with the recycle bin, protect & hide files and view a huge variety of different photo & video formats including RAW, SVG and much more.
The app contains no ads and unnecessary permissions. As the app doesn’t require internet access either, your privacy is protected.
SIMPLE GALLERY – FEATURES
• Offline gallery with no ads or popups • Simple gallery photo editor – crop, rotate, resize, draw, filters & more • No internet access needed, giving you more privacy and security • No unnecessary permissions required • Quickly search images, videos & files • Open & view many different photo and video types (RAW, SVG, panoramic etc) • A variety of intuitive gestures to easily edit & organize files • Lots of ways to filter, group & sort files • Customize the appearance of Simple Gallery • Available in 32 languages • Mark files as favorites for quick access • Protect your photos & videos with a pattern, pin or fingerprint • Use pin, pattern & fingerprint to protect the app launch or specific functions too • Recover deleted photos & videos from the recycle bin • Toggle visibility of files to hide photos & videos • Create a customizable slideshow of your files • View detailed information of your files (resolution, EXIF values etc) • Simple Gallery is open source … and much much more!
PHOTO GALLERY EDITOR Simple Gallery makes it easy to edit your pictures on the fly. Crop, flip, rotate and resize your pictures. If you’re feeling a little more creative you can add filters and draw on your pictures!
SUPPORT FOR MANY FILE TYPES Unlike some other gallery viewers & photo organizers, Simple Gallery supports a huge range of different file types including JPEG, PNG, MP4, MKV, RAW, SVG, Panoramic photos, Panoramic videos and many more.
Best material design music player for Android. Contribute to MuntashirAkon/Metro development by creating an account on GitHub.
- Local playback only (based on the MediaStore)
- Sleep timer
- Folder browser
- Home screen widgets
- Themes (Just Black, Kinda Dark, Clearly White)
- Now playing themes
- Volume controls
- Album artist support
- Auto-download artist images from Last.fmhttps://f-droid.org/repo/io.github.muntashirakon.Music/en-US/icon_5LD2RbQWtAYguCLyTB7Asa91NkhZu1s6T_IdqngqUR8=.png
Open Camera is an Open Source Camera app for Android phones and tablets. Features:
Option to auto-stabilise so your pictures are perfectly level no matter what. Expose your camera's functionality: support for focus modes, scene modes, color effects, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation/lock, face detection, torch. Video recording (supports all available resolutions including HD). Handy remote controls: timer (with optional voice countdown), auto-repeat mode (with configurable delay). Option to take photo remotely by making a noise (e.g., voice, whistle), or by voice command "cheese". Configurable volume keys. Optimise GUI for left or right-handed users. Zoom via multi-touch gesture and single-touch control. Ability to lock orientation to portrait or landscape for photo or video. Choice of save folder (including support for Lollipop's Storage Access Framework). Disable shutter sound. Overlay a choice of grids (including "rule of thirds") and crop guides. Optional GPS location tagging (geotagging) of photos and videos; for photos this includes compass direction (GPSImgDirection, GPSImgDirectionRef). Apply a date and timestamp, location coordinates, and custom text to photos; store date/time and location as video subtitles (.SRT). Yes you can take a selfie (also known as front camera), includes support for "screen flash". Support for (some) external microphones. Widget to automatically take a photo after launching. Support for Android 5 Camera2 API: manual focus distance; manual ISO; manual exposure time; RAW (DNG) files. Support for HDR and Exposure Bracketing (Camera2 only). Dynamic range optimisation mode for better quality photos. Small file size. Completely free, and no ads in the app. Open Source.
Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.
Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally. Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data. Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.
Awesome easy to use AES-protected drive with integrated features like Camera, PDF-, image-, videoviewer.
Mullvad is an ethical VPN provider based in Gothenburg, Sweden.
They keep no logs and an account number is the only thing you need to connect to Mullvad VPN. They ask for no email, no phone number; no personal information whatsoever. You can pay by Crypto or Cash.
Mullvad use the latest encryption methods and were one of the first VPN providers to start using the cutting edge WireGuard protocol. To help you obtain even higher connection speeds, they also provide a SOCKS5 service - which is used in addition to Wireguard/OpenVPN - so that you're no longer confined to the bandwidth of a single VPN connection.
They support Wireguard Multihop (like Tor), Killswitch, DNS content and ad-blocking. Their servers are blazing fast with some blasting out uplink speeds of 40Gb/s.
Visit the website for more details.
Encryption All of your one-time passwords are stored in a vault. If you choose to set a password, which is highly recommended, the vault will be encrypted using AES-256. If someone with malicious intent gets a hold of the vault file, it’s impossible for them to retrieve the contents without knowing the password.
Fingerprint unlock Entering your password each time you need access to a one-time password can be cumbersome. Fortunately, you can also enable fingerprint unlock if your device has a fingerprint scanner.
Compatibility Aegis supports the HOTP and TOTP algorithms. These two algorithms are industry-standard and widely supported, making Aegis compatible with thousands of services. Some examples are: Google, GitHub, Dropbox, Facebook and Instagram.
It is also compatible with Google Authenticator. Any website that shows a QR code for Google Authenticator also works with Aegis.
Groups Have a lot of one-time passwords? Add them to custom groups for easier access. Personal, Work and Social can each get their own group.
Backups To make sure you will never lose access to your online accounts Aegis Authenticator supports exporting your vault which you can import onto a new device. Aegis Authenticator also allows you to import AndOTP and FreeOTP databases so switching to Aegis is made easier for you.
Open source and license Aegis Authenticator is open source (licensed under GPL v3) and the source code can be found here: http://github.com/beemdevelopment/Aegis
Feeder is a fully free/libre feed reader. It supports all common feed formats, including JSONFeed. It doesn't track you. It doesn't require any setup. It doesn't even need you to create an account! Just setup your feeds, or import them from your old reader via OPML, then get on with syncing and reading.
Parses HTML and displays it in a native TextView
Handy access to enclosure links
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly with your relatives without making a compromise on privacy or security. Make video calls, send messages, pictures, videos, documents, voice recordings, GIFs, contacts & location, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once and react to their messages with emojis -all with complete privacy-. Signal servers never have access to any of your communications and never store any of your data.
- Say Anything - Share text, voice messages, photos, videos, GIFs and files for free. Signal uses your phone's data connection so you can avoid SMS (No longer supports SMS or MMS) and MMS fees.
- Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
- Make Privacy Stick - Add a new layer of expression to your conversations with encrypted stickers. You can also create and share your own sticker packs.
- Get Together with Groups - Group chats make it easy to stay connected to your family, friends, and coworkers.
- No ads. No trackers. No kidding. - There are no ads, no affiliate marketers, and no creepy tracking in Signal. So focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
- Remain Connected - Push notifications let you know when new messages have arrived, and they'll be waiting for you even if your battery dies or you temporarily lose service.
- View Source - All of our code is free, open, and available on GitHub (https://github.com/signalapp).
- Join Movements - Technology developed by Open Whisper Systems is trusted and used by millions of people around the world every day.
Element is a Matrix-based end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) secure collaboration and messaging app.
It provides instant messaging, voice and video calls, screen sharing and file sharing; for 1:1s to huge chat rooms. It’s available to use across Web, Android, iOS, macOS, Windows & Linux.
Its decentralised design delivers digital sovereignty, enabling deployment on-premise or through any cloud provider.
Element Matrix Services (EMS) is the most popular SaaS for corporate use of Element. EMS provides fast performance and enterprise-grade add-ons.
Being Matrix-based, Element provides interoperability between traditional siloed apps. It can bridge into proprietary ‘walled garden’ systems such as Slack, Microsoft Teams, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram and Discord to enable easy connections between different organisations.
End-to-end encryption is provided by default to keep users’ conversations and files safe. Cross-signed device verification uses QR codes or emoji comparisons to guard against imposters and eavesdropping.
Element is built on the Matrix.org open standard which provides bridges to other systems such as Slack, IRC and a lot more soon.
not hardened like Mull
Only use your contacts if you dont have Whatsapp, Instagram & co. installed, apart from your work profile!
Infinity is a beautiful, feature-rich app that offers a smooth Reddit browsing experience. It is completely free and ad-less; you can browse Reddit without interruptions or distractions. Built by a passionate university student, Infinity is open source. Please check out, support or contribute to the project at https://github.com/Docile-Alligator/Infinity-For-Reddit!
Lazy mode: automatic scrolling of posts enables you to enjoy amazing content without moving your thumb.
Multi-account support: switch to different accounts instantaneously
Night theme: beautifully designed night theme
A free, open-source X client for Android and iOS.
- Device-local subscriptions and groups, Newpipe-style, including a feed view
- Device-local saving of tweets, allowing offline reading
- Viewing profiles
- Viewing tweets and replies
- Viewing and downloading pictures, videos and GIFs in tweets
- Searching for tweets and users
- Viewing trending topics
- Supports opening twitter.com links directly
No YouTube account required. It doesn't need the YouTube API or any Google Play Services, as NewPipe only parses the YouTube in order to gain the information. Therefore this app can be used on devices without Google Services installed. NewPipe Extractor is used by other apps for this purpose.
NewPipe Legacy (Android 4.1+) version available on website.
- Search videos
- Display general information about a video
- Watch videos at resolutions up to 4K
- Listen to audio in the background, only loading the audio stream to save data
- Popup mode (floating player, aka Picture-in-Picture)
- Watch live streams
- Show/hide subtitles/closed captions
- Search videos and audios (on YouTube, you can specify the content language as well)
- Enqueue videos (and optionally save them as local playlists)
- Show/hide general information about videos (such as description and tags)
- Show/hide next/related videos
- Show/hide comments
- Search videos, audios, channels, playlists and albums
- Browse videos and audios within a channel
- Subscribe to channels (yes, without logging into any account!)
- Get notifications about new videos from channels you're subscribed to
- Create and edit channel groups (for easier browsing and management)
- Browse video feeds generated from your channel groups
- View and search your watch history
- Search and watch playlists (these are remote playlists, which means they're fetched from the service you're browsing)
- Create and edit local playlists (these are created and saved within the app, and have nothing to do with any service)
- Download videos/audios/subtitles (closed captions)
- Open in Kodi
- Watch/Block age-restricted material
- YouTube & YouTube Music - one of the most popular video and live streaming platforms, including music, news, gaming and much more. Best supported out of the five.
- PeerTube - a decentralized video platform. Any PeerTube instance can be added to NewPipe.
- SoundCloud - a streaming platform for music.
- Bandcamp - an artist-friendly platform for sharing music. It offers user-friendly DRM-free downloads.
- media.ccc.de - the video archive and live streaming platform of the German hacker and information security activist group Chaos Computer Club.
FlorisBoard is an open-source keyboard aimed at providing you with an easy way to type while respecting your privacy.
Currently implemented and fully working features:
- Latin keyboard layouts
- QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish/Finnish, Danish, Icelandic and Swiss. More coming in future releases
- Easy switching between languages/layouts by defining subtypes in the settings
- Keyboard layouts for typing in a (phone) number
- Special characters input
- Emoji/Emoticon keyboard
- One-handed/compact mode for easier typing on large devices
- Light and dark theme for the input UI (more themes will come in future releases)
- Customization of key press sound/vibration
A periodic table for all your science needs for both schoolwork and fun!
The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
The Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained.
Tasks is libre open-source software, based on the original source code from the popular Astrid Tasks & To Do List! Tasks is easy-to-use, feature-packed, flexible and customizable, and synchronizes with a variety of services. Best of all it contains no advertisements and respects your privacy!
• Synchronize with Google Tasks, DAVx5, CalDAV, EteSync, DecSync CC, or use completely offline • Nested, collapsible, unlimited depth subtasks • Drag and drop manual sorting, compatible with Nextcloud Tasks and Apple Reminders • Powerful repeating task options • End-to-end encryption with EteSync • Share lists with other users when synchronizing with Tasks.org, Nextcloud/ownCloud, EteSync, or sabre/dav • Location-based arrival and departure notifications • List, tag, filter, and search your tasks • Organize your tasks by location • Highly customizable widget • Customize your lists with icons and colors • Automatic backups to internal storage, Google Drive, and the Android Backup Service • Hide tasks until their start date • Automatically add tasks to your calendar • Create new tasks and list reminders with Tasker • And much more!
Tasks respects your privacy! • No advertisements • No ad or location tracking • Opt-out of crash reporting and anonymous statistics
Orbot is a freely licensed open-source application developed for the Android platform. It acts as a front-end to the Tor binary application, and also provides an HTTP Proxy for connecting web browsers and other HTTP client applications into the Tor SOCKS interface.
Orbot is a component of the Guardian Project, an effort to develop a secure, anonymous smartphone for use by human rights activists, journalists and others around the world. Learn more: https://guardianproject.info/
Tor protects your privacy on the internet by hiding the connection between your Internet address and the services you use. We believe Tor is reasonably secure, but please ensure you read the instructions and configure it properly. Learn more at https://torproject.org/
Tor Frequently Asked Questions: https://support.torproject.org/faq/
A simple calendar with optional CalDAV synchronization. You can easily create recurring events and setup reminders, it can also display week numbers.
Contains a monthly view and an event list widget where you can customize the color of the text, as well as the alpha and the color of the background.
Contains no ads or unnecessary permissions. It is fully opensource, provides customizable colors.
The Storage permission is needed only for exporting or importing events from .ics files.
The Contacts permission is used only at importing contact birthdays and anniversaries.
This app is just one piece of a bigger series of apps. You can find the rest of them at https://www.simplemobiletools.com
LibreTorrent is a Free as in Freedom torrent client for Android, based on libtorrent. Download and share files directly on your device.
- DHT, PeX, encryption, LSD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, µTP
- IP filtering (eMule dat and PeerGuardian)
- Ability to fine tune (network settings, power management, battery control, UI settings, etc.)
- Supports torrents with large number of files and big files
- HTTP\S and magnet links support
- Tor support (using Orbot)
- Support proxy for trackers and peers
- Ability to move files while downloading
- Ability to automatic movement of files to another directory or to an external drive at the end of download
- Ability to specify file and folder priorities
- Ability to select which files to download
- Ability to download sequentially
- Material Design
- Tablet optimized UI
I won't call all of them beautiful but these are nice apps. I discover new once that look good so I'll update my list with them thanks ^^
Edit : Birday is better looking in my opinion as is also FOSS
[Edited by justarandom, September 08]