My favorite proprietary, open-source or freeware tools for remote desktop (remote access and remote control):
- Modern tools
- No-Machine NX
Chrome Remote Desktop allows users to remotely access another computer through Chrome browser or a Chromebook. Computers can be made available on an short-term basis for scenarios such as ad hoc remote support, or on a more long-term basis for remote access to your applications and files. All connections are fully secured.
The open source alternative to TeamViewer and AnyDesk. Display and control your PC and Android devices from anywhere at anytime. Works out of the box, no configuration required. You have full control of your data, with no concerns about security. Features:
- Security: End-to-end encryption.
- Privacy: Own your data. Easily setup RustDesk self-hosted solution on your infrastructure.
- Simple: We keep things simple and try to make simpler when possible.
- Lightweight: No administrative privileges or installation needed for Windows.
- Console: Track access log and manage permissions from a modern UI.
- File Transfer: Remote File Transfer on all Devices and Platforms.
- Cross-Platform: Works on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web.
- Self-hosted: You can use our public rendezvous/relay server, or self-hosting, or write your own server.
AnyDesk offers a fast, intuitive and security-focused way to connect to remote computers. With a bevy of features and lightweight design that works across multiple desktop and mobile platforms, it's powerful enough for enterprises but easy enough for personal and home office use. Access your programs remotely, transfer files between devices and record sessions with ease. And for security purposes, you can easily set up your own network to take full control of your data.
The interface can be themed to comply with company branding to provide the most comfortable experience for end users needing support. A lightweight and small download makes it fast and easy. And it's available across all modern systems from Mac, Windows, Linux and even Raspberry Pi, to Android and iOS.
TeamViewer lets you establish a connection to any PC or server within just a few seconds. You can remote control the PC of your partner as if you were sitting right in front of it.
New features such as VoIP, webcam and application selection will give you an even better, easier and faster desktop sharing experience.
- TeamViewer enables you to do what you want without any hassle and without any worries. Private data, private conversations, and private meetings stay that way.
- Support, assist, interact, and collaborate with people. Exchange information. Access and use technology. One tool makes it possible to work as if you were all in the same room without travel time and expenses.
- Solve issues remotely or bring customers and colleagues together without complex steps or onerous prep time.
TightVNC is a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
UltraVNC is easy to use and free software that can display the screen of another computer (via the Internet or a local network) on your own screen. The program allows you to use your mouse and keyboard to control the other computer remotely. It means that you can work on a remote computer as if you were sitting in front of it right from your current location. This can be used for a variety of troubleshooting purposes and contexts, from helping a friend to professional customer support.
If you provide computer support, you can quickly access your customer's computers from anywhere in the world and resolve helpdesk issues remotely. This makes it easy to build rapport and consumer trust in your product.
With add-ons like SingleClick your customers don't even have to pre-install software or execute complex procedures to get remote helpdesk support.
Who Should Use UltraVNC? Anyone who needs to support local or remote Windows users will find UltraVNC Products are must-have tools UltraVNC Products have been specifically designed to answer the needs of:
• Help desk (Internal or External) • IT departments • Remote Computer Support companies • Remote Computer Access • Remote demonstration • eLearning, classroom control • Individuals that want to help their relatives and friends, or access their home PC from work or cybercafes
UltraVNC is free for ALL usage, both personal and commercial.
Remote Desktop Connection is a technology that allows you to sit at a computer (sometimes called the client computer) and connect to a remote computer (sometimes called the host computer) in a different location.
FreeRDP is a free implementation of the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), released under the Apache license. Enjoy the freedom of using your software wherever you want, the way you want it, in a world where interoperability can finally liberate your computing experience.
NoMachine - NX
NoMachine NX is an enterprise-class solution for secure remote access, desktop virtualization, and hosted desktop deployment built around the self-designed and self-developed NX suite of components. Thanks to its outstanding compression, session resilience and resource management and its integration with the powerful audio, printing and resource sharing capabilities of the Unix world, NX makes it possible to run any graphical application on any operating system across any network connection.
NX is SSH encrypted, has random cookie generation, and is compressed for speed. Free version is available to everyone, and enterprise and server editions are available at cost.
You can use NoMachine to:
- Enjoy all videos, including HD movies, TV shows, and music files that are playable only on your computer
- Play graphic intensive games
- Remotely administrate unattended computers and give on-the-go support to colleagues and friends
- Control your computers remotely as if you were sitting in front of them
- Work with all your files, desktop applications and other programs all running on your computer elsewhere
- Access all computers behind firewalls
- High-resolution video and audio streaming
- Transfer files in both directions
- Record any activity on the remote desktop
OpenNX is an open source drop in replacement for NoMachine's NX client. It is compatible to the original client in that it uses the same syntax for the session configuration files (.nxs files).
It also adds some additional features which improve usability: Ability to use the OpenSC framework to enable SmartCard based authentication for the initial SSH connection. Ability to use a variety of different proxy types.Ability to fetch session configuration files via http (read only).Ability to disable configuration controls by providing a read only configuration file. Dynamic use of libsmbclient, libcups, libopensc and pulseaudio (no static dependencies). Uses libjpeg-turbo for speed improvement (if available).
X2Go is an open source remote desktop software for Linux that uses the NX technology protocol. X2Go can be used to access PC desktops, but its main use case is providing secure standalone remote sessions via ssh. The server package must be installed on a Linux host; client packages can be run on Linux, OS X, or Windows.