Linux Must Have
This list are for the apps I use on Linux Mint daily. These apps are absolutely must-have apps I can't be without.
Mines (previously gnomine) is a puzzle game where you locate mines floating in an ocean using only your brain and a little bit of luck.
You start the game with a grid of covered squares and no idea what is in them. Clicking on a square reveals what is in it: either empty ocean or a mine. If you find a mine bad things happen and the game is over. If you uncover an empty square, you survive and get to try again. We do give you a bit of help; if you find an empty piece of ocean a number is printed there telling you how many mines are in the adjacent squares (or no number if there are no nearby mines). Once you find a few clear squares you can start to deduce which squares have mines in them and which don't. You win the game once you have revealed all the un-mined squares and marked all the mined squares.
With TuxGuitar, you will be able to compose music using the following features
Tablature editor Score Viewer Multitrack display Autoscroll while playing Note duration management Various effects (bend, slide, vibrato, hammer-on/pull-off) Support for triplets (5,6,7,9,10,11,12) Repeat open and close Time signature management Tempo management Imports and exports gp3,gp4 and gp5 files
A free and open source web browser descended from the Mozilla Application Suite. Firefox is highly extensible, with thousands of third-party add-ons available.
Firefox version 60+ (Quantum) is presently faster than Google Chrome and use less memory than Chrome. Compare to previous versions of Firefox, the Quantum version is twice as fast, promote parallelism, and has more intuitive user interface.
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, their own service (paid) or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encryption (E2EE)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support for to-dos and tags
- Support for notifications in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes. Support for extra features such as math notation, checkboxes and Fountain (screenwriting markup language).
- File attachment support, images, etc.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages
- External editor support - open notes in your favorite external editor with one click in Joplin.
Tutanota is the world's most secure email service, easy to use and private by design. You get fully encrypted calendars and contacts with all our personal and business email accounts. It has open source iOS and an Android apps. The Android app is published on F-Droid (which means the app does not use Google's push notification system) making it a great option if you want to de-Google your life. All data is stored encrypted and can not be searched, i.e. for commercial use. It offers dead easy end-to-end encryption.
Encrypted Calendar Organization is key: Regain control over your busy life with Tutanota's encrypted calendar. The calendar is integrated seamlessly into the secure email client and can be easily accessed on any device. Event notifications are sent end-to-end encrypted to fully protect your privacy.
Contacts: Tutanota allows you to add and manage encrypted contacts, always at hand.
Search: Fast search of encrypted data guarantees privacy.
Mail Storage 1 GB of storage is free for everyone.
Easy - one password for everything Tutanota wants to provide the easiest-to-use and most secure email client. You do not have to fiddle with multiple passwords for signing in and for encryption/decryption. The state-of-the-art encryption technology handles all the encryption and decryption complexities. Still: Your password only belongs to you. It is being hashed and salted locally before being transmitted to the servers.
Only you with your password have access to your encrypted data, profiling is impossible. Tutanota combines security with ease-of-use so that everybody can use end-to-end encryption. Now you can take back your privacy easily!
The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µTorrent. Additionally, qBittorrent runs and provides the same features on all major platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD).
qBittorrent is based on the Qt toolkit and libtorrent-rasterbar library.
• Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
• Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies)
• All Bittorrent extensions DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet/BitComet URIs, ...
• Remote control through a Web user interface Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax
• Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents Torrents queueing and prioritizing Torrent content selection and prioritizing
• Natively integrated: When Downloads Completes Options (no need for additional script or plug-in) Exit, Suspend, Hibernate, Shutdown
• UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
• Available in ~41 languages (Unicode support)
• Torrent creation tool
• Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex)
• Bandwidth scheduler
• IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible)
• IPv6 compliant
• Sequential downloading (aka "Download in order")
• Available on most platforms: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD
Free community support by volunteers:
• https://forum.qbittorrent.org • https://wiki.qbittorrent.org • https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues
The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
The Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained.
VeraCrypt is a free and libre source (open source) disk encryption software brought to you by https://www.idrix.fr
• Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. • Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive. • Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication). • Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent. • Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted. • Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors. • Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password: Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system. • Multilingual. More than 35 languages. List at https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/code/ci/master/tree/Translations • More information about the features of VeraCrypt may be found in this documentation at https://veracrypt.fr/en/Documentation.html
VeraCrypt is based on TrueCrypt 7.1a at TrueCrypt . In comparison to TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt adds enhanced security to the algorithms used for system and partitions encryption, making it immune to new developments in brute-force attacks.
For example, when the system partition is encrypted, TrueCrypt uses PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 with 1000 iterations whereas in VeraCrypt we use 327670. And for standard containers and other partitions, TrueCrypt uses at most 2000 iterations but VeraCrypt uses 655340 for RIPEMD160 and 500000 iterations for SHA-2 and Whirlpool.
VeraCrypt is licensed with both Apache 2.0 and TrueCrypt 3.0 licenses. Per https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/code/ci/master/tree/License.txt#l24
Web servers are started locally on your computer and made accessible to other people as Tor onion services.
By default, OnionShare web addresses are protected with a random password. A typical OnionShare address might look something like this:
You’re responsible for securely sharing that URL using a communication channel of your choice like in an encrypted chat message, or using something less secure like unencrypted e-mail, depending on your threat model.
The people you send the URL to then copy and paste it into their Tor Browser to access the OnionShare service.
If you run OnionShare on your laptop to send someone files, and then suspend it before the files are sent, the service will not be available until your laptop is unsuspended and on the Internet again. OnionShare works best when working with people in real-time.
Because your own computer is the web server, no third party can access anything that happens in OnionShare, not even the developers of OnionShare. It’s completely private. And because OnionShare is based on Tor onion services too, it also protects your anonymity.
LibreOffice is a free and open-source office suite that is compatible with other major office suites, and is available on all operating systems. It is an independently-developed version of the OpenOffice.org suite.
The office suite includes:
LibreOffice - Writer, a word processor with similar functionality and file support to Microsoft Word . It has extensive WYSIWYG word processing capabilities, but can also be used as a basic text editor.
LibreOffice - Calc , a spreadsheet program, similar to Microsoft Office Excel . It has a number of unique features, including a system which automatically defines series of graphs, based on information available to the user.
LibreOffice - Impress , a presentation program resembling Microsoft Powerpoint . Presentations can be exported as SWF files, allowing them to be viewed on any computer with Adobe Flash installed.
LibreOffice - Draw , a vector graphics editor and diagramming tool similar to Microsoft Office Visio . It provides connectors between shapes, which are available in a range of line styles and facilitate building drawings such as flowcharts. It also includes features similar to desktop publishing software such as Scribus and Microsoft Office Publisher .
LibreOffice - Math , an application designed for creating and editing mathematical formulae. LibreOffice - Base , a database management program, similar to Microsoft Office Access .
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly with your relatives without making a compromise on privacy or security. Make video calls, send messages, pictures, videos, documents, voice recordings, GIFs, contacts & location, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once and react to their messages with emojis -all with complete privacy-. Signal servers never have access to any of your communications and never store any of your data.
- Say Anything - Share text, voice messages, photos, videos, GIFs and files for free. Signal uses your phone's data connection so you can avoid SMS (No longer supports SMS or MMS) and MMS fees.
- Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
- Make Privacy Stick - Add a new layer of expression to your conversations with encrypted stickers. You can also create and share your own sticker packs.
- Get Together with Groups - Group chats make it easy to stay connected to your family, friends, and coworkers.
- No ads. No trackers. No kidding. - There are no ads, no affiliate marketers, and no creepy tracking in Signal. So focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
- Remain Connected - Push notifications let you know when new messages have arrived, and they'll be waiting for you even if your battery dies or you temporarily lose service.
- View Source - All of our code is free, open, and available on GitHub (https://github.com/signalapp).
- Join Movements - Technology developed by Open Whisper Systems is trusted and used by millions of people around the world every day.
OpenShot is a free and open-source video editor for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS, designed to be easy to use and quick to learn.
Cross-Platform OpenShot is a cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Get started and download our installer today.
Trim & Slice Quickly trim down your videos, and find those perfect moments. OpenShot has many easy ways to cut your video.
Animation & Keyframes Using our powerful animation framework, you can fade, slide, bounce, and animate anything in your video project.
Unlimited Tracks Add as many layers as you need for watermarks, background videos, audio tracks, and more.
Video Effects Using our video effects engine, remove the background from your video, invert the colors, adjust brightness, and more.
Audio Waveforms Visualize your audio files as waveforms, and even output the waveforms as part of your video.
Title Editor Adding titles to your video has never been easier. Use one of our templates, or make your own.
3D Animations Render beautiful 3D animated titles and effects, such as snow, lens flares, or flying text.
Slow Motion & Time Effects Control the power of time, reversing, slowing down, and speeding up video. Use a preset or animate the playback speed and direction.
Edit Video Drag and drop video, audio, or images from your file manager into OpenShot. It's that easy to get started video editing.
70+ Languages OpenShot is available in many different languages, and can be translated online with LaunchPad.
Simple User Interface We have designed OpenShot to be the easiest and friendliest video editing software ever! Give it a try and see for yourself.
Cryptomator provides transparent, client-side encryption for your cloud. Protect your documents from unauthorized access. Cryptomator is free and open source software, so you can rest assured there are no backdoors.
Easy and Reliable
We understand simplicity as a key aspect of security. With Cryptomator you don't have to deal with accounts, key management, cloud access grants or cipher configurations. Just choose a password and you're ready to go.
You don't even need to specify what cloud you use. Cryptomator encrypts files and doesn't care where you store them. This makes it a lightweight application, which we believe is a huge benefit for reliability. Complexity would kill security.
Cryptomator is a so-called transparent encryption utility. This means that you don't have to learn new workflows. Just work with your files as you're used to.
Secure and Trustworthy
Cryptomator encrypts file contents and names using AES. Your passphrase is protected against bruteforcing attempts using scrypt. Directory structures and file sizes get obfuscated. The only thing which cannot be encrypted without breaking your cloud synchronization is the modification date of your files.
Cryptomator's desktop app is a free and open source software licensed under the MIT / X Consortium License. This allows anyone to check our code. It is impossible to introduce backdoors for third parties. Also we cannot hide vulnerabilities. And the best thing is: There is no need to trust us, as you can control us!
Vendor lock-ins are impossible. Even if we decided to stop development: The desktop source code is already cloned by hundreds of other developers. As you don't need an account, you will never stand in front of locked doors.
Stacer is an open source system optimizer and application monitor that helps users to manage entire system with different aspects, its an all in one system utility.
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It allows you to write and sync your notes across all your devices, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, MacOS, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
Simple means it does one job and does it well. Standard Notes is a safe and lasting place for your life's work. Our focus is making it easy to write notes wherever you are and syncing them with encryption to all your devices.
Standard Notes comes free with: • Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
- Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
- No limit on number of devices.
- No limit on number of notes.
- Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
- A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
- The ability to pin, lock, protect, and move notes to trash, which allows you to recover deleted notes until the trash is emptied.
We made Standard Notes simple because longevity is important to us. We want to make sure we're here, protecting your notes, for the next hundred years. You shouldn't have to find a new notes app every year.
To sustain our development, we offer optional paid subscriptions with additional benefits. A premium subscription gives you access to powerful tools including:
- Super note type
- Beautiful themes
- Web clipper
- Encrypted files
- Hardware security key support
Features a free draw tool, arrows, lines, circles, and other tools for editing screenshots you take. Possibility to add text, but not possible to change text size. Screenshots can be uploaded to Imgur, saved to a local file, or copied directly to your clipboard to easily paste in other programs. Many configuration options are available, such as hiding icons or changing the colors used in the program. Flameshot is also open source, so experienced developers can help improve the program.
KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature is cross-platform and tested to give users the same feel on each operating system, including the loved auto-type feature.
The complete database is always encrypted with the AES (alias Rijndael) encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. KeePassXC uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe. Your wallet always works offline and requires no Internet connection.
The source code is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License. KeePassXC is and always will be free as in freedom as well as in beer. Contributions from everyone are welcome.
GIMP is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, and more.
Brave Web Browser is a fast, free, secure web browser with a built-in ad blocker*, tracking and security protection, and optimized data and battery experience.
*What is Brave Ad Replacement?
Brave’s goal is to speed up the web, stop bad ads and pay publishers. One of the ways we plan to accomplish this is with ad replacements. We will also invite users to fund their wallets and to use those funds to pay the publishers of their favorite websites.
BleachBit deletes unnecessary files to free valuable disk space, maintain privacy, and remove junk.
Rid your system of old clutter including cache, cookies, Internet history, localizations, logs, temporary files, and broken shortcuts.
Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean Adobe Acrobat Reader, APT, Bash, Beagle, Chromium, Epiphany, Mozilla Firefox, Flash, GIMP, Google Chrome, Google Earth, Internet Explorer, Java, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Opera, RealPlayer, Safari, Second Life viewer, Skype, VIM, XChat, Yum, and more.
BleachBit has never bundled any junk like browser toolbars.
Bitwarden is the easiest and safest way to store all of your logins and passwords while conveniently keeping them synced between all of your devices.
Password theft is a serious problem. The websites and apps that you use are under attack every day. Security breaches occur and your passwords are stolen. When you reuse the same passwords across apps and websites hackers can easily access your email, bank, and other important accounts.
Security experts recommend that you use a different, randomly generated password for every account that you create. But how do you manage all those passwords? Bitwarden makes it easy for you to create, store, and access your passwords.
Bitwarden stores all of your logins in an encrypted vault that syncs across all of your devices. Since it's fully encrypted before it ever leaves your device, only you have access to your data. Not even the team at Bitwarden can read your data, even if we wanted to. Your data is sealed with AES-256 bit encryption, salted hashing, and PBKDF2 SHA-256.
Bitwarden is 100% open source software. The source code for Bitwarden is hosted on GitHub and everyone is free to review, audit, and contribute to the Bitwarden codebase.