yt-dlp is a youtube-dl fork based on the now inactive youtube-dlc. The main focus of this project is adding new features and patches while also keeping up to date with the original project.
The major new features from the latest release are:
SponSkrub Integration: You can use SponSkrub to mark/remove sponsor sections in YouTube videos by utilizing the SponsorBlock API
Format Sorting: The default format sorting options have been changed so that higher resolution and better codecs will be now preferred instead of simply using larger bitrate. Furthermore, you can now specify the sort order using -S. This allows for much easier format selection than what is possible by simply using --format (examples)
Merged with youtube-dl commit/379f52a: (v2021.06.06) You get all the latest features and patches of youtube-dl in addition to all the features of youtube-dlc
Merged with animelover1984/youtube-dl: You get most of the features and improvements from animelover1984/youtube-dl including --write-comments, BiliBiliSearch, BilibiliChannel, Embedding thumbnail in mp4/ogg/opus, playlist infojson etc. Note that the NicoNico improvements are not available. See #31 for details.
- All Feeds (:ytfav, :ytwatchlater, :ytsubs, :ythistory, :ytrec) and private playlists supports downloading multiple pages of content
- Search (ytsearch:, ytsearchdate:), search URLs and in-channel search works
- Mixes supports downloading multiple pages of content
- Most (but not all) age-gated content can be downloaded without cookies
- Partial workaround for throttling issue
- Redirect channel's home URL automatically to /video to preserve the old behaviour
- 255kbps audio is extracted from YouTube music if premium cookies are given
- YouTube music Albums, channels etc. can be downloaded