novelWriter 34 alternatives | Website
novelWriter is a Markdown-like text editor designed for writing novels and larger projects of many smaller plain text documents. It uses its own flavor of Markdown that supports a meta data syntax for comments, synopsis and cross-referencing between files. It's designed to be a simple text editor that allows for easy organization of text files and notes, built on plain text files for robustness.
The plain text storage is suitable for version control software, and also well suited for file synchronization tools. The core project structure is stored in a project XML file. Other meta data is primarily saved in JSON files.
novelWriter is not a full-feature Markdown editor. It allows for a minimal set of formatting needed for writing text documents for novels. These are currently limited to:
- Headings level 1 to 4 using the # syntax only.
- Emphasized and strong text. These are rendered as italicized and bold.
- Strikethrough text.
- Hard line breaks using two or more spaces at the end of a line.
Features not supported in the editor are also not exported when using the export tool.
The core export format of novelWriter is HTML5. You can also export the entire project as a single novelWriter Markdown-flavor document. In addition, other exports to Open Document, PDF, and plain text is offered through the Qt library, although with limitations to formatting.
Other features include:
- Syntax highlighting for the editor and syntax highlight themes
- User interface themes including dark theme
- Auto save documents and project files on a set timer
- Document stats including word count
- Easily organize files in root folders and sub folders
- Assign tags to notes
More information can be found on the Github page.