Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, their own service (paid) or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encrypted (E2EE) synchronisation (but not encrypted locally at rest)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support for to-dos and tags
- Support for notifications in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes. Support for extra features such as math notation, checkboxes and Fountain (screenwriting markup language).
- File attachment support, images, etc.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages
- External editor support - open notes in your favorite external editor with one click in Joplin.
Zim brings the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Store information, link pages and edit with WYSISYG markup or directly typing some lightweight markup syntax and see it previewed as-you-type. Creating a new page is easy by either clicking on the "Create new note" button, by linking to a non-existing page or by writing a CamelCase name in any note. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, in plain text format with lightweight markup, and can have attachments (stored along the notes).
This tool can be used to keep track of TODO lists or ideas, to take notes during a meeting, to draft any other kind of text (blog entries, important mails, etc.) or to write long texts like lab research notebooks thank's to the headers structure and the table of content navigation.
Zim handles several types of formatting markup, like headings, bullet lists, checkbox, tables and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as a hybrid wiki/markdown text so you can easily edit it with other editors. Because of the autosave feature you can switch between pages and follow links or even close the software anytime while editing without worries. The interface also provides multi-document tabs, and it remembers the cursor position in all notes for quick resuming in your note taking endeavors.
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It allows you to write and sync your notes across all your devices, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, MacOS, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
Simple means it does one job and does it well. Standard Notes is a safe and lasting place for your life's work. Our focus is making it easy to write notes wherever you are and syncing them with encryption to all your devices.
Standard Notes comes free with: • Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
- Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
- No limit on number of devices.
- No limit on number of notes.
- Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
- A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
- The ability to pin, lock, protect, and move notes to trash, which allows you to recover deleted notes until the trash is emptied.
We made Standard Notes simple because longevity is important to us. We want to make sure we're here, protecting your notes, for the next hundred years. You shouldn't have to find a new notes app every year.
To sustain our development, we offer optional paid subscriptions with additional benefits. A premium subscription gives you access to powerful tools including:
- Super note type
- Beautiful themes
- Web clipper
- Encrypted files
- Hardware security key support
A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.
- Rich text
- Syntax highlighting
- Images handling
- Embedded files handling
- Multi-level lists handling
- Simple tables handling
- Codeboxes handling
- Execution of the code for code nodes and codeboxes
- Alignment of text, images, tables and codeboxes
- Hyperlinks associated to text and images
- Spell check
- Intra application copy/paste
- Cross application copy/paste
- Copying a list of files from the file manager and pasting in cherrytree will create a list of links to files, images are recognized and inserted in the text
- Print & save as pdf file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to html of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to plain text of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- TOC generation for a node / node and subnodes / the whole tree, based on headers h1, h2 and h3
- Find a node, find in selected node, find in selected node and subnodes, find in all nodes
- Replace in nodes names, replace in selected node, replace in selected node and subnodes, replace in all nodes
- Iteration of the latest find, iteration of the latest replace, iteration of the latest applied text formatting
- Import from html file, import from folder of html files
- Import from plain text file, import from folder of plain text files
- Import from basket, cherrytree, epim html, gnote, keepnote, keynote, knowit, mempad, notecase, rednotebook, tomboy, treepad lite, tuxcards, zim
- Export to cherrytree file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Password protection
- Tree nodes drag and drop
- Automatic link to web page if writing the URL
- Automatic link to node if writing node name either with no spaces and camelcase or surrounded by [[node name]]
Made by the company behind WordPress, Simplenote enables users to take notes, lists, and ideas. These notes are stored on the cloud and are accessible across multiple devices.
Simplenote's both client and server components are free and open-source. However, the service component of Simplenote requires free registration and accepting the terms of service.