Typely is precise. Existing tools for improving prose raise so many false alarms that their advice cannot be trusted. Instead, the writer must carefully consider whether to accept or reject each change. We aim for a tool so precise that it becomes possible to unquestioningly adopt its recommendations and still come out ahead — with stronger, tighter prose. Better to be quiet and authoritative than loud and unreliable.
GROW YOUR MANUSCRIPT YOUR WAY Tailor-made for long writing projects, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don't know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
SEE THE FOREST OR THE TREE Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: hammer out every last detail before typing a word, or carve out a draft and restructure later. Or mix your methods and do a bit of both. In Scrivener, everything you write is integrated into an easy-to-use project outline. So working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
RESEARCH WITHIN REACH Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand, and you can open it right next to your work. Write a description based on a photograph. Transcribe an interview. Take notes about a PDF file or web page. Or check for consistency by referencing an earlier chapter alongside the one in progress.
GETTING IT OUT THERE Once you're ready to share your work with the world, compile everything into a single document for printing, self-publishing, or exporting to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still satisfy those submission guidelines.
- Familiar Text Editing
- Formatting Presets
- Import: Word documents, plain text files, Final Draft scripts, images, PDF documents, movies, sound files and web pages.
- Templates and Icons
- Tools for Non-Fiction
- View Documents Side by Side
- Full-Screen Writing
- ...and more!
Linux appimage available at https://www.wayoflinux.com/blog/scrivener-returns
The ultimate replacement for spreadsheets, mind mappers, outliners, PIMs, text editors and small databases. Suitable for any kind of data organization, such as To-do lists, calendars, project management, brainstorming, organizing ideas, planning, requirements gathering, presentation of information, etc. Its like a spreadsheet, immediately familiar, but much more suitable for complex data because its hierarchical. Its like a mind mapper, but more organized and compact. Its like an outliner, but in more than one dimension. Its like a text editor, but with structure.
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, their own service (paid) or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encrypted (E2EE) synchronisation (but not encrypted locally at rest)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support for to-dos and tags
- Support for notifications in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes. Support for extra features such as math notation, checkboxes and Fountain (screenwriting markup language).
- File attachment support, images, etc.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages
- External editor support - open notes in your favorite external editor with one click in Joplin.
Typora gives you a seamless experience as both a reader and a writer. It removes the preview window, mode switcher, syntax symbols of markdown source code, and all other unnecessary distractions. Instead, it provides a real live preview feature to help you concentrate on the content itself.
Typora allows you to manage your files easily, providing both file tree panel and articles (file list) side panel. Fell free to organize files in your own way, including putting in sync services, like Dropbox or iCloud.
Automatically see the Outline structure of your documents in outline panel, which allows you to quickly go through the document and jump to any section with one click.
Import & Export
Export to PDF with bookmarks. Go further and export or import. More formats, including docx, OpenOffice, LaTeX, MediaWiki, Epub, etc, can be exported or imported.
See how large your document is in words, characters, lines, or reading minutes.
Focus Mode & TypeWriter Mode
Focus mode helps you focus only on the current line, by blurring the others. Typewriter mode always keeps the currently active line in the middle of the window.
Auto complete pair of brackets and quotes like a code editor. Also, There's also an option to auto pair markdown symbols, like * or _.
yWriter is a word processor which breaks your novel into chapters and scenes, helping you keep track of your work while leaving your mind free to create. It will not write your novel for you, suggest plot ideas or perform creative tasks of any kind. yWriter was designed by an author, not a salesman!
Zettlr is a one-stop publication workbench that combines many writing features and collects them in one application. It aims at speeding up your workflow and help you write without any interruptions.
- Your Notes are your notes: Zettlr is privacy-first
- Citations made easy: Tight and ever-growing integration with your favorite reference manager (Zotero, JabRef, and many others)
- Available in over a dozen languages
- Draft your publications in a professional environment, with LaTeX and Word template support
- Simple and beautiful exports with Pandoc, LaTeX, and Textbundle
- Snippets allow you to automate insertion of boilerplate code
- Themes, dark modes, and full flexibility with custom CSS
- Code highlighting for many languages
- Support for state-of-the-art knowledge management techniques (Zettelkasten)
- A powerful full text search that helps you find anything, anywhere
Write and organize your ideas in Gingko tree documents.
Whether building a business or writing a bestseller, Gingko lets your ideas flow naturally into place.
Write, brainstorm, and organize your document, all in the same flow.
You can also work with others, with Real-time collaboration.
oStorybook is a free, open source novel-writing software for creative writers, novelists and authors which will help you to keep an overview of multiple plot-lines while writing texts.
Manuskript is an open-source tool for writers, with outliner, character management, plot development, distraction-free editor, etc.
Outliner Organize your thoughts and snippets in a hierarchical manner. Organize them as you wish, reorganize them on the go.
Distraction-free mode Get rid of all distraction while writing. Set personal goal in word count or time before you can leave editor.
Novel assistant Use the snowflake method to grow your single genius idea in an coherent whole, with complex characters, intricate plots and detailed universe.
Quoll Writer's interface is focused on what matters, your words. Controls are where you would expect them to be. It employs a familiar tabbed interface to allow you to work on multiple chapters and assets at once.
Just like the real world, the world you create is full of characters, locations and items, Quoll Writer lets you easily create and manage those assets.
Remembering what happened when, where and between whom is problematic when you're 50,000 words into a story you've been working on for months. Quoll Writer allows you to annotate the text with plot outline items for key story points and scenes for structure.
We all have phrases and constructs that we use and wish we didn't. The problem finder can help improve the quality of your writing but it is there to help not instruct.
As you would expect Quoll Writer has a built in spell checker, it can be turned on or off in a single click.
More is not always better but knowing how much is vital. At the click of a button you can find out how many words your story has and how much you have written in the current session.
The Idea Board allows you to quickly record and organize your ideas. You can add new types of ideas, rate ideas, sort them and convert them into assets or chapters.
We all need to practice our writing (well nearly all of us), a warm-up can help you limber up before you start on your current project or just with practice. Do you have writer's block? Do you want some new ideas? A warm-up will help and with nearly 300 prompts to choose from there is sure to be something for everyone.
No one wants to be distracted when writing and let's face it computers are a veritable pandora's box of distractions. Quoll Writer's full screen mode, accessible at the touch of a button, will help keep you focused and on track.
To make getting started easier Quoll Writer supports importing your existing projects from Microsoft docx files. Export your project to docx, html, epub and pdf formats.
FocusWriter is a fullscreen, distraction-free word processor designed to immerse you as much as possible in your work. The program autosaves your progress, and reloads the last files you had open to make it easy to jump back in during your next writing session, and has many other features that make it such that only one thing matters: your writing.
bibisco is a novel writing software that helps you to write your story, in a simple way.
- bibisco is a desktop application available for Linux, MacOS and Windows in 13 languages: czech, dutch, french, german, english, italian, polish, portuguese (Brazil), portuguese (Portugal), russian, serbian, spanish, turkish.
- All that you need - with bibisco you can organize chapters and scenes, manage revisions, export novel in pdf, docx., txt, epub. And, of course, write with a fully featured text editor, also in DISTRACTION FREE mode.
- Organize your ideas - with bibisco you can create a novel structure, define premise, fabula, narrative strands and settings: geographic, temporal and social context.
- Focus on characters - your novel works if its characters are believable, that is when you understand human nature's complexity. With bibisco you can KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR CHARACTERS, in an unusual and funny way: an INTERVIEW!
- Going into the deep - with bibisco you can see how characters, locations and narrative strands are distributed chronologically and across chapters. You can keep track of the number of words and characters you've written and you can see your story represented on a TIMELINE. You can draw the relationships between characters, places and objects using the RELATIONSHIP DIAGRAM.
- Set your writing goals - with bibisco you can set your writing goals: deadline, words total, words per day and monitor the status of their achievement over time.