Interesting Apps 2018
Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, share research and cite your research sources directly in your favourite word processor, with 300 MB free online storage.
Zotero helps you organize your research any way you want. You can sort items into collections and tag them with keywords. Or create saved searches that automatically fill with relevant materials as you work.
Zotero instantly creates references and bibliographies for any text editor, and directly inside Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs. With support for over 100,000 citation styles, you can format your work to match any style guide or publication.
Zotero can optionally synchronize your data across devices, keeping your notes, files, and bibliographic records seamlessly up to date. If you decide to sync, you can also always access your research from any web browser.
Zotero lets you co-write a paper with a colleague, distribute course materials to students, or build a collaborative bibliography. You can share a Zotero library with as many people you like, at no cost.
Zim brings the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Store information, link pages and edit with WYSISYG markup or directly typing some lightweight markup syntax and see it previewed as-you-type. Creating a new page is easy by either clicking on the "Create new note" button, by linking to a non-existing page or by writing a CamelCase name in any note. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, in plain text format with lightweight markup, and can have attachments (stored along the notes).
This tool can be used to keep track of TODO lists or ideas, to take notes during a meeting, to draft any other kind of text (blog entries, important mails, etc.) or to write long texts like lab research notebooks thank's to the headers structure and the table of content navigation.
Zim handles several types of formatting markup, like headings, bullet lists, checkbox, tables and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as a hybrid wiki/markdown text so you can easily edit it with other editors. Because of the autosave feature you can switch between pages and follow links or even close the software anytime while editing without worries. The interface also provides multi-document tabs, and it remembers the cursor position in all notes for quick resuming in your note taking endeavors.
TiddlyWiki is a single html file with all the characteristics of a wiki - including all of the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet. Because its a single file, its very portable - you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick. It has a broad range of tools and an ever expanding plethora of plugins.
Data Crow is the ultimate media cataloger and media organiser. Always wanted to manage all your collections in one product? You want a product you can customize to your needs? Your search ends here! Using Data Crow allows you to create a huge database containing all your collected items. You can use the excellent online services to retrieve the information instead of typing all the information yourself.
Kexi is considered as a long awaited Open Source competitor for Microsoft Access, Filemaker and Oracle Forms.
Kexi is an integrated data management application. It can be used for creating database schemas, inserting data, performing queries, and processing data. Forms can be created to provide a custom interface to your data. All database objects – tables, queries and forms – are stored in the database, making it easy to share data and design.
A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.
- Rich text
- Syntax highlighting
- Images handling
- Embedded files handling
- Multi-level lists handling
- Simple tables handling
- Codeboxes handling
- Execution of the code for code nodes and codeboxes
- Alignment of text, images, tables and codeboxes
- Hyperlinks associated to text and images
- Spell check
- Intra application copy/paste
- Cross application copy/paste
- Copying a list of files from the file manager and pasting in cherrytree will create a list of links to files, images are recognized and inserted in the text
- Print & save as pdf file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to html of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Export to plain text of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- TOC generation for a node / node and subnodes / the whole tree, based on headers h1, h2 and h3
- Find a node, find in selected node, find in selected node and subnodes, find in all nodes
- Replace in nodes names, replace in selected node, replace in selected node and subnodes, replace in all nodes
- Iteration of the latest find, iteration of the latest replace, iteration of the latest applied text formatting
- Import from html file, import from folder of html files
- Import from plain text file, import from folder of plain text files
- Import from basket, cherrytree, epim html, gnote, keepnote, keynote, knowit, mempad, notecase, rednotebook, tomboy, treepad lite, tuxcards, zim
- Export to cherrytree file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree
- Password protection
- Tree nodes drag and drop
- Automatic link to web page if writing the URL
- Automatic link to node if writing node name either with no spaces and camelcase or surrounded by [[node name]]
GDevelop is an open-source game creation software, allowing to make games for the web (HTML5), desktop or mobile phones (iOS/Android). No programming or coding skills are required! It is easy to use and powerful enough for advanced users.
What makes GDevelop unique and so easy to use are the events. Events are a powerful way to express the logic of your game, without having to learn a programming language.
Sprites, particles engine, physics engine, platformer engine, pathfinding and many others features are available. Any kind of 2D games can be created with GDevelop.
Games can be exported in one-click for Android, uploaded online or packaged for iOS, Windows, macOS or Linux.
SpeedCrunch is a free, fast, high precision open source algebraic calculator with an intuitive interface and a extensive list of features, including: Unlimited Variables, Syntax Highlighting, Functions, with 'Automagic' Completion, 50 Decimal Precision, Input History and more...
XAMPP is a completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. The XAMPP open source package has been set up to be incredibly easy to install and to use. XAMPP is free even for commercial uses
A commandline tool to find unnecessary files (duplicates, tmpfiles, unstripped binaries and more)
wallabag is an opensource self hostable application for saving web pages.
wallabag extracts the article's content (and only its content!) and displays it in a comfortable view. Moreover, wallabag is responsive: you can read your articles on your smartphone or your tablet.
Applications for smartphone
Android, iOS or Windows Phone: wallabag application is available for your smartphone. It's so easy to read your saved articles on your phone. And it also works when you're offline!
Migrate from other services
If you already have an account on Pocket©, Readability©, Instapaper© or even wallabag, you can import your data into wallabag.
Retrieve your articles easily thanks to filters
wallabag provides a powerful tool to filter your saved articles. It's so easy to look for them.
Available in your language
wallabag is translated into more than ten languages. If yours is not yet available, please help translate.
Keep your data
All your data belongs to you. You can download all your articles in many formats: PDF, ePUB, .mobi, JSON, CSV, txt or HTML.
Taiga is a full-featured project management platform for startups and agile developers & designers who want a simple, beautiful tool that makes work truly enjoyable.
Taiga is available in tree versions :
• Open Source • SaaS • Managed
• Open Source is fully free. But requires skills to self-managed it. • SaaS is free for up to 15 users and 5 private projects. Or Premium $5 to $7/mo per user, unlimited projects. • Managed cost is communicated by their sales team
• Planning. Choose between Kanban or Scrum. • Tickets/Issues • Easy to use • Intuitive user interface • Team interaction • Dashboard/Reporting • Timetracking. Using either a custom field or integration with Toggl. • Self hosted, SaaS, or Managed • Multilingual. More than 20 languages. • Customization. Fields, tags, stages, colors, close definition • Import from GitHub, Jira, Trello • Integration with 3rd party software. Such as, but not limited to, Bitbucket, GitLab, GitHub, Gogs, Slack, Webhooks.
• Backend is GPL-3.0 (GNU Affero General Public License v3.0) at https://github.com/taigaio/taiga-back/blob/master/LICENSE • Frontend is GPL-3.0 (GNU Affero General Public License v3.0) at https://github.com/taigaio/taiga-front/blob/master/LICENSE
Wekan, formerly LibreBoard, is an open-source and collaborative Trello -like kanban board application.
Whether you’re maintaining a personal todo list, planning your holidays with some friends, or working in a team on your next revolutionary idea, Kanban boards are an unbeatable tool to keep your things organized. They give you a visual overview of the current state of your project, and make you productive by allowing you to focus on the few items that matter the most.
Wekan supports most features you would expect of it including a real-time user interface, cards comments, member assignations, customizable labels, filtered views, and more.
Pandoc is a Haskell library for converting from one markup format to another, and a command-line tool that uses this library.
If you need to convert files from one markup format into another, pandoc is your swiss-army knife. Need to generate a man page from a markdown file? No problem. LaTeX to Docbook? Sure. HTML to MediaWiki? Yes, that too. Pandoc can read markdown and (subsets of) reStructuredText, HTML, and LaTeX, and it can write plain text, markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, PDF, RTF, DocBook XML, OpenDocument XML, ODT, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, groff man pages, EPUB ebooks, and S5 and Slidy HTML slide shows. PDF output (via LaTeX) is also supported with the included markdown2pdf wrapper script.
DokuWiki is a standards compliant, simple to use Wiki, mainly aimed at creating documentation of any kind. It is targeted at developer teams, workgroups and small companies. It has a simple but powerful syntax which makes sure the datafiles remain readable outside the Wiki and eases the creation of structured texts. All data is stored in plain text files – no database is required.
Whether it's bookmarks or passwords, files or shopping lists...Turtl organizes it all and makes it easy to find later. Sync across your devices. Leave nothing behind.
Turtl uses high-end cryptography to protect your data. Whether you're worried about information leaks, competitive advantage, or blanket government surveillance, Turtl works hard to make sure only you, and those you choose, can see your data.
Just because Turtl is secure and private doesn't mean you can't share with your teammates or family. Choose who you want to have access to your data without compromising your security.
youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube and more than 1000 sites. It requires the Python interpreter and is therefore platform-independent.
The GitHub repository was shut down in October 2020. It was restored the following November. Meanwhile, youtube-dl was forked to youtube-dlc (a.k.a yt-dlc) during this time. The development of youtube-dlc was soon discontinued. But further youtube-dlc forked to yt-dlp.
The development of youtube-dl began in 2006 by rg3. rg3 withdrew in 2011 and the lead developer has changed.
HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility. It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original sites relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the mirrored website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system. WinHTTrack is the Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP/Vista release of HTTrack, and WebHTTrack the Linux/Unix/BSD release.