Keep on Writing in the Free World
Novel & story writing/organizational software available entirely for free.
yWriter is a word processor which breaks your novel into chapters and scenes, helping you keep track of your work while leaving your mind free to create. It will not write your novel for you, suggest plot ideas or perform creative tasks of any kind. yWriter was designed by an author, not a salesman!
True Novelist provides a way for authors to write their novel online, organize their story, view statistics about their project and writing habits, set goals, keep track of related research, and more.
oStorybook is a free, open source novel-writing software for creative writers, novelists and authors which will help you to keep an overview of multiple plot-lines while writing texts.
bibisco is a novel writing software that helps you to write your story, in a simple way.
- bibisco is a desktop application available for Linux, MacOS and Windows in 13 languages: czech, dutch, french, german, english, italian, polish, portuguese (Brazil), portuguese (Portugal), russian, serbian, spanish, turkish.
- All that you need - with bibisco you can organize chapters and scenes, manage revisions, export novel in pdf, docx., txt, epub. And, of course, write with a fully featured text editor, also in DISTRACTION FREE mode.
- Organize your ideas - with bibisco you can create a novel structure, define premise, fabula, narrative strands and settings: geographic, temporal and social context.
- Focus on characters - your novel works if its characters are believable, that is when you understand human nature's complexity. With bibisco you can KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR CHARACTERS, in an unusual and funny way: an INTERVIEW!
- Going into the deep - with bibisco you can see how characters, locations and narrative strands are distributed chronologically and across chapters. You can keep track of the number of words and characters you've written and you can see your story represented on a TIMELINE. You can draw the relationships between characters, places and objects using the RELATIONSHIP DIAGRAM.
- Set your writing goals - with bibisco you can set your writing goals: deadline, words total, words per day and monitor the status of their achievement over time.
Great online app for writers, novelists, and bloggers. Manage project timelines, outlines, characters, locations and objects, upload photos and reorganize it all as much as you need to. Contextual inline notes (including to-do items, photos, and videos) to help you keep your thoughts where they belong - with the writing they apply to. Import projects from PDF, Word or other formats. Export your work to PDF, ebook, Markdown, doc and more. Plus automated backups to your own personal Dropbox.
Manuskript is an open-source tool for writers, with outliner, character management, plot development, distraction-free editor, etc.
Outliner Organize your thoughts and snippets in a hierarchical manner. Organize them as you wish, reorganize them on the go.
Distraction-free mode Get rid of all distraction while writing. Set personal goal in word count or time before you can leave editor.
Novel assistant Use the snowflake method to grow your single genius idea in an coherent whole, with complex characters, intricate plots and detailed universe.
Plotline is an application to assist in the creation of a novel. While this does not fully replace the old-school P&P (pencil & paper) method, it is nice to have everything in one place. Some of the features include:
Planning the novel plot arc, form inciting incident to the climax. Adding characters, with prompts for character biographies. Creating plotlines for the novel, and assigning characters as part of the plotlines. Adding scenes to the novel to plan out exactly how the novel will work out. Best feature: a full-fleged editor, with markdown syntax highlighting support and a distraction-free mode. Better feature: binding the novel content into a various format, ebook or otherwise.
FreeWriter is a fully featured writing software suite to assist in writing novels and reports.
It provides a fresh, new, graphical approach to writing.
It includes our revolutionary 'Thoughts Canvas' technology to harness your creativity - helping deliver clear, consistent, quality writing.
The word processor contains all the powerful functionality you need to format and organize documents - including
- spell checking
- full dictionary
- extensive thesaurus
- global search and replace
- automatic voice read-back
- and also speech recognition.
There are facilities to help you build out robust story elements - enabling you to profile characters, places, ideas & plot themes, each within their own module.
You are even presented with tools to enable you to set productivity targets, and plot your progress against these!
I'm going to try a couple but I don't know which of these you have actually used. Your list is good but your own reviews of them would have been helpful.