This package is a personal full text search package which is based on a very strong backend (Xapian), for which it provides an easy to use and feature-rich interface.
A small fee is required for downloading and using the Windows binary version.
Recoll finds keywords inside documents as well as file names.
It can search most document formats.
It can reach any storage place: files, archive members, email attachments, transparently handling decompression.
One click will open the document inside a native editor or display an even quicker text preview.
Avaliable through repositories
- Qt-based GUI
- Will run on most Unix-based systems
- Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, phrases, proximity, wildcards, filter on file types and directory tree.
- Supports the following document types (and their compressed versions)
- Natively: text, html, OpenOffice files, maildir and mailbox (Mozilla and IceDove mail) with attachments, pidgin log files
- With external helpers: pdf (pdftotext), postscript (ghostscript), msword (antiword), excel, ppt (catdoc), rtf (unrtf)
- Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, phrases, filter on file types and directory tree
- Support for multiple charsets, Internal processing and storage uses Unicode UTF-8. Multi-language and multi-character set with Unicode based internals.
- Stemming performed at query time (can switch stemming language after indexing)
- Easy installation. No database daemon, web server or exotic language
- An indexer which runs either as a thread inside the GUI or as an external, cron'able program