Side scrolling Games
A classic genre rooted in arcade-style game design and progression, side scrolling video games focus on movement in a 2D plane from, well, side to side in a scrolling fashion. Codified by legendary games such as the Super Mario Bros. series, side scrollers can have plenty of variety unto themselves, with creativity-focused games such as Terraria having completely different focuses when compared to the origins of the genre.
- Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.
- Limbo (stylized as LIMBO) is a puzzle-platform video game and the premiere title of independent Danish game developer Playdead.
- SuperTux is a classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game in a style similar to the original Super Mario games.
- Cave Story, or Dokutsu Monogatari, is a Japanese freeware Metroidvania side-scrolling Metroidvania platform-adventure game developed by Studio Pixel . It has been translated into English by Aeon Genesis Translations.
- The dark and eerie sequel to the hit platformer game, Limbo.
- Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles.
- Open Surge is a fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system that lets you unleash your creativity!.
- Mario jumps into a new adventure on iPhone and iPad, this time playable using only one hand.
- Prince of Persia is a video game franchise created by Jordan Mechner, originally developed and published by Brøderbund, then the Learning Company, and currently Ubisoft.
- A roguelike, Castlevania-inspired, action-platformer, Dead Cells allows you to explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle, unlock new gear and gain access to unreachable areas.
- With a long history tracing back to early stand-up arcade systems and NEO GEO console, Metal Slug (series) is the definitive bullet hell platformer.
- Action side scroller RPG originally released for PlayStation and available on smartphones.
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a gothic horror action side-scrolling RPG set in 18th century England.
- Capsized is a retro-inspired 2d platformer developed by Alientrap. Presented in a unique hand drawn art style.
- Join SEGA's legendary platformer icon in the action-packed side-scroller that started it all.