Education & Reference Apps for Xfce
In this category are tools to study and learn a language, dictionaries and translation services, mathematics tools (such as calculators and equation editors), astronomy (sky maps, for example), and any other matter you are interested in. Moreover, this section also contains references where you can find answers to your questions, including encyclopedic and tutorial websites.
- TiddlyWiki is a highly customizable notewiki for capturing, organising and sharing complex information.
- Qalculate! is a multiplatform multi-purpose desktop calculator.
- Utility to show live keyboard and mouse status for teaching and screencasts.
- Wiki on a Stick (in short WoaS) is a wiki that lives in one self-modifying XHTML file.
- GNU TeXmacs is a free scientific editing platform designed to create beautiful technical documents. It provides a unified and user friendly framework for editing structured documents with different types of content: text, math, graphics, slides, etc.
- galculator is a GTK 2 / GTK 3 based calculator with ordinary notation/reverse Polish notation (RPN), a formula entry mode, different number bases (DEC, HEX, OCT, BIN) and...
- This program allows you to search different kinds of dictionary services for words or phrases and shows you the result.
- Quick lookup in Wiktionary and Wikipedia, without the need to open a new tab. Just right-click a word while shift / ctrl / alt is pressed.
- GPeriodic is a periodic table application for Linux. It allows you to browse through a periodic table of the elements, and view detailed information on each of the elements. 118 elements are currently listed.
- An Tk-based offline/desktop dictionary lookup program for X11/Linux, Unix, which contains a German-English dictionary and works with multiple databases/text files.
- It supports popular computer dictionary formats including Slowo and Mova. It also acts as a client for DICT servers.