SpiderOak Comments

Additional free space.

Positive Comment by marcin_k
  1. Sign up under a referral link: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/48d0f6684c5fa8cb2b6a460bd6a2429f + 1GB free space (total free space 3GB).

2. Use COUPON CODE: worldbackupday ( https://spideroak.com/blog/20110330182326-eric-brian-and-world-backup-day-for-everyone ) + 3 GB space (total free space = 6 GB!)

NightHeron-image
X
G
jake_p-image
nicolaspilet-image

Safe and rock solid, I didn't find anything better yet

Positive Comment by nicolaspilet

After a month using SpiderOak I am really happy. It is safe flexible and have the hive option trivial to use. The security aspect is really important to me and SpiderOak really deal carefully with that. I really encourage everybody to try. The only downside is the small free storage capacity compare to other (only 2GB). If you want to try, use this link in order to get 1 extra GB for free (3GB instead of the standard 2GB).

P

Back your stuff up if you use sync

Negative Comment by plasbot

Use something like todo-backup to backup your files if you setup syncs using Spider-oak.
Spider-oak syncing is slow as molasses. I signed up for 100 gigs and synced up 'my documents' across 3 computers. I installed a new hard drive on my laptop and restored the sync. Of course it took days to sync up, in fact it's still working on it, I'm used to that slowness already. But over 2 days Spideroak systematically deleted 62036 files and 7150 folders, because the laptop didn't have all the files and folders, it decided that I must have deleted everything.

I went into the recycle bin in Spideroak to look for my files and folders, they were there, but there is no way to sort by date deleted column. At the very least, you should have a way to sort by date deleted to make recovering from these disasters not take a full week of plodding through each and ever folder and subfolder.

Luckily I used another product to backup and it was easy to restore the files. Using spideroak recycle bin would have been a mind-numbingly slow and cumbersome process. The warning about 'exact file structure' when restoring a sync needs to be clarified, why can't it just say 'if you have some folders and files missing on this new pc we are going to delete them from all your other pc's"

Alternate referral link

Comment by tehalynn

Alternate referral link: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd9affe0c73e56423c6a14c9e31f3d6d

Enter coupon code "worldbackupday" when asked.

S

Easy, nice and secured

Positive Comment by square

I've been using SpiderOak for few month, and I find it really easy to backup and sync all my files. All is encrypted and very secure. It's also very easy to backup your critical files : configure the files you want to backup and then one button click !

I was using Dropbox but I will let it down now. I'll keep my SugarSync for files that don't need high level of security. But for the most important documents, I'll use SpiderOak.

R

Okay but not amazing...

Comment by RoastedBanana

I mean, I signed up simply 'cos I liked its ability to encrypt data. However, what happened was that everytime I tried to upload data, every file was stuck on finalizing. I even tried running a few commands and other fixes suggested in certain forum threads but those simply wiped out everything I'd uploaded. I ran out of patience when a number of files later, the issue was still around.

I didn't contact the help support btw, 'cos I was just simply looking around and it didn't seem worth my time to go through a ton of steps just for some files. And from the forums, the tech support didn't seem too responsive anyways.

In the end, I'm going back to Dropbox. After all, what use are those touted features if you can't even upload a file?

D

Spideroak is a great service.

Positive Comment by dnel

Total encryption, easy to use software, decent pricing: all makes Spideroak a great service.

F

SpiderOak is mostly perfect software in comparison with Dro ...

Positive Comment by freshapple

SpiderOak is mostly perfect software in comparison with Dropbox or SugarSync. It allows select folders to share and filter files by extension. SpiderOak can sync more faster if you exclude *.tmp, *.log, desktop.ini and other useless files. So if you need syncronize not huge amount of data SpiderOak is excelent solution, otherwise I reccomend SugarSync. It allows to use 5 gb for free from the box.
By default SpiderOak allows to use 2 Gb of free space. If you want 1 Gb more space, just use a referral link.

D

A decent backup tool - that's what this is.It's not really ...

Comment by drezha

A decent backup tool - that's what this is.

It's not really an alternative to Dropbox as Dropbox is aimed at sync and this is aimed at backup. Yes it has a sync feature but the sync feature in comparison to Dropbix is terrible - in the event of conflicts, Spideroak just overwrote everything whereas Dropbox creates conflicted copies.

Currently I have the Pro version of Dropbox (as I sync all my data between work laptop and home PC) but I forsee when my need for syncing such large data disappears when I complete my studies, I'll move to Pro version of Spideroak.

em4020-image

Telekom Mediacenter: 25GB for free mounted as drive T

Comment by em4020

25GB for free mounted as drive T in windows explorer: Telekom Mediacenter
If you speak german or can translate the following german site, you can use this unique offer:
For mounting the 25GB as a local drive it is necessary to download and install a little application.
You can also access your files from your iPhone or Android mobile device.

em4020-image

SpiderOak & DropBox can also LAN-Sync

Positive Comment by em4020

In difference to SpiderOak or DropBox SugarSync can only Online-Folder-Sync, no LAN-Sync
I use virtual machines (VDMK, VHD) stored on quick USB3.0-connected SSD-harddisks.
If this SSD-disk is connected with my home-PC I want to synchronize certain folders about LAN-sync.
If this SSD-disk is not connected with my home-PC, I want to synchronize certain folders about internet.
With SpiderOak I can do a triangle-sync for folders: online-folderhome-pc-folderSSD-folder. Automatically the quickest accessable folder will be synced. With SugarSync at presence this is not possible, because you only can do online-folder-syncs.
I suggest to implement LAN-sync as a new and very useful feature for next SugarSync-versions.
With DropBox you theoretically can do LAN-syncs, but this function is not transparent enough to be sure, that it really works.
SpiderOak Download-Link for 3-7GB instead normally only 2GB:
Starts with 3GB instead 2GB, max. reachable 2 + 5x1GB = 7GB

FAR better than Dropbox

Positive Comment by Montag

I found this app FAR better than Dropbox (annoying one folder limitation). I found it easy to set-up/customize, powerful yet straightforward and doing it's job with no problems.