Writing on paper, you let go and just get your idea out. You don't get caught up perfecting the words too early. Rough Draft is like writing with pen and paper, so you can't delete words, only cross them out. Each "edit" reminds you that you're writing a rough draft.
- Placeholders - Simple tags for where a picture, video, quote, or other supporting info will be added later. Stay focused now, and give supporting elements the focus they deserve later. More Info »
- Sidenotes - Easily create and drag-and-drop sticky notes for those genius ideas you get when writing you're in flow (but aren't sure just where they will fit yet).
- Clean Export - When you're done drafting, Rough Draft can remove your scratched-out words, and export a clean ready to revise draft to your favorite text editor or direct to Medium.
* Clean exporting is a paid feature, but as a small "Thank you!" for trying Rough Draft one is included free.
- iCloud Syncing - Start drafting on your iPhone, continue on your iPad, and finish on your Mac.
* Mac-to-Mac syncing is free, and Mac-to-iOS syncing is unlocked when you purchase Clean Export.
- Rough Export - Feel free to draft to your heart's content: with Rough Draft you can export your "rough" drafts for free forever. (But we recommend Clean Export to get your rough ideas polished and ready to publish!)
- OnlyRoughDrafts.com Publishing - Want some feedback on your rough draft? Test your ideas in their rawest form with a community of writers and editors who understand your work is still a rough draft. Get feedback before you spend time editing.
- Dark Mode, Word Count Goals, & Settings - Fit Rough Draft to your liking with simple settings, whether you want to start with a blank white sheet, or get lost in the dark.