Hangouts Comments

rondapuck1206-image

use it all the time

Comment by rondapuck1206 about Hangouts and Skype, Apr 2016

i've been using hangout for a while now and has proven to so much faster and better that skype. I honestly wouldn't go back to use skype, this one is faster and easier so i recommend this one.

anikathompson9-image

yeah.. i like it

Positive Comment by anikathompson9 about Hangouts Dec 2015

I like it, i mean... i use it for work and has never failed so i think it's fine, i like it because it has everything together and easy access gmail, google + and everything i like that

alisonblak-image

great app

Positive Comment by alisonblak about Hangouts Dec 2015

i really like this app, it works great on my phone and it's faster than any other i've got like whatsapp. i think there might be some improvements to be made but i think is still one of the best

Pidgin absolutely is an alternative to google talk

Comment by Awesome about Hangouts and Jitsi, Miranda IM, Adium, Pidgin, Oct 2012

Pidgin has an expansive plug-in ecosystem. Please un-remove it (add it back) as an alternative

Google Talk [ now Small Hangouts iconHangouts ]

needs:

Small Pidgin iconPidgin

and by extension
Small Adium iconAdium

the same claims apply to miranda
Small Miranda IM iconMiranda IM

Jitsi provides audio chat SIP/Jingle, and text chat XMPP, SIMPLE
Small Jitsi iconJitsi

Jitsi with 35 votes ought not be buried under show all.

[Edited by Venom88, November 12]

Show 1 hidden replies.
J

Google Talk is also an application.

I would argue that Google Talk is just the application front end to the standard Jabber protocol.

Visuex-image

but joshhsoj1902 Google Talk doesn't use just the standard Jabber protocol that is why there is a specific entry in Pidgin to work with it rather than just using the XMPP option. However, I do understand what you mean and it is a good point.

Google Talk did use XMPP but Hangouts doesn't. I'm not sure if they still have the XMPP gateway to the new, proprietary network but yeah...

Visuex-image

@tuuli85 I didn't claim that they didn't use XMPP, I stated that their implementation of XMPP is not standard. While Google Hangouts doesn't use XMPP as the main protocol it is still utilized for use in Pidgin.

I've actually changed my opinion of this topic actually, I think Pidgin is still not a direct alternative to Hangouts I'd be totally fine with claiming that it was for Google Talk. Hangouts though is 99% known for video which Pidgin is not for that usage.

D

Nice, but could do better

Comment by DamianN about Hangouts Mar 2015

Very fast at sending and receiving messages, especially on mobile. I get my messages faster here than on other IM apps such as Whatsapp and Viber. Still some improvements to be done, like sometimes messages sent on a desktop don't get on the mobile version, which has caused me some problems in the past.

The same with Google Talk. I mean one can have sterling VOI ...

Comment by Mason_IT about Hangouts Jun 2011

The same with Google Talk.

I mean one can have sterling VOIP + remote desktop sharing and file transfer system in one app.

[Edited by Venom88, March 14]