AutoHotkey Comments

P

Unusable for normal users who just want to use macros

Negative Comment by pino76

you have to be a certified and experienced programmer in order to be able to use this utility. This thing does even have a GUI.

NanoPi-image

is AutoHotKey a valid alternative to clipboard tools?

Comment by NanoPi
  • a script that accesses the clipboard must be created or downloaded.
  • the documentation provides a link to two clipboard manager scripts.
R

This thing is the best, most lightweight driver that can ha ...

Comment by RUBn

This thing is the best, most lightweight driver that can handle anything you want with your mouse or keyboard!! It's the answer to all the usual keyboard and mouse drivers crap.
Only downside for IT-dummies: you have to set things up by editing a config file (easy for normal shortcuts though!).

J
B

Not meant for games

Comment by BjornR

Unfortunately AutoHotKey doesn't always function in games.

J

AutoHotKey is awesome, but my new job gave me a Mac...

Positive Comment by Awfki

I LOVE AutoHotKey. It expanded strings for me. It moved windows around and resized them. It added the hotkeys that developers forgot. AutoHotKey is a marvel and, amazingly, it's free. I could even, somewhat painfully, create a GUI with it if I wanted to.

But now I'm on a Mac full time and there's no equivalent. Finally forced to deal with it the best I've done is replace it with a half-dozen different tools.

Spectacle (free) or Divvy ($) can move windows around and resize them. Options are limited, but I'm finding them adequate for now.

KeyRemap4MacBok (free) will... remap keys. Mainly to move cmd-q to cmd-shift-q so I'll stop closing my browser when I meant to close a tab.

BetterTouchTool (free) has added the back/forward gestures that were missing from Finder and seems to have a LOT more functionality that I haven't checked out yet.

Typinator ($) or TextExpander ($) will expand text although there are some issues with Mac's "secure keyboard mode" and applications (especially Chrome) that don't it turn it off when they're done with it. Typinator is winning this battle so far and their support was very quick to respond and fix my issue with one app that it wouldn't work with.

It's not perfect but it's the best I've found so far.

[Edited by Awfki, January 16]

Thelle-image

Awesome for remapping and customization of shortcuts

Positive Comment by Thelle

AutoHotkey is awesome for remapping of the keyboard and for customization of shortcuts and so much more.. It is script based, but quite easy to handle the basics of it.

Quality alternatives

Comment by aron

Executioner... Wow. This thing is unbelievable. It's not even been downloaded 100 times in over a year and yet it's more advanced than everything on this list other than AutoIt @_@
It's included plugins do 2/3 of the things I need.

WinParrot is quite handy for quick tasks and I'll keep it as well. Very glad I found this site. SO handy.

ATx-image

AWESOME! It can save you a lifetime of menial tasks, and so ...

Comment by ATx

AWESOME! It can save you a lifetime of menial tasks, and solve UI shortcomings of other applications, no more waiting for the author to issue an update, you can improve the user experience by yourself.

Only thing I would like to see improved is the reliability of scripts that require the Sleep command to work properly, mostly mouse/keyboard/menu UI operations.